Re: (TFT) New monster --> Tahquitz

> While I never enjoyed this type of power
> gaming, there is an unappreciated
> tradition of mortals fighting gods.

Yes.  This is not absent from Sword and Sorcery fiction either.  Both Conan
and Kane contest with gods on a physical basis.  Given the anti-theistic bent
of the Jackson's cosmology, the quote from Tennyson's Ulysses at the beginning
of AW is somewhat ironic:

"Death closes all, but something ere the end,
Some work of noble note may yet be done,
not unbecoming men who strove with Gods."

Though I prefer the closing:

"Tho' much is taken, much abides; and tho'
We are not now that strength which in old day
Moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are:
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."