RE: (TFT) One more go at this --> d12 plus d8.

> Hi Stan, Everyone.
> I've placed the cumulative chance of hitting into
>the new column.  This is a nice curve IMHO.

Yes, it is interesting.

> How would you handle adding dice to the
> difficulty, Stan?

Add the usual one or two d6's for a 4d or 5d roll.

Here's the chart with adding in a d6 (avg 14.5):

        # of           cumulative
total  rolls  chance    chance
3.......1......0.17......0.17
4.......3......0.52......0.69
5.......6......1.04......1.73
6.......10.....1.74......3.47
7.......15.....2.60......6.07
8.......21.....3.65......9.72
9.......27.....4.69......14.41
10......33.....5.73......20.14
11......38.....6.60......26.74
12......42.....7.29......34.03
13......45.....7.81......41.84
14......47.....8.16......50
15......47.....8.16......58.16
16......45.....7.81......65.97
17......42.....7.29......73.26
18......38.....6.60......79.86
19......33.....5.73......85.59
20......27.....4.69......90.28
21......21.....3.65......93.93
22......15.....2.60......96.53
23......10.....1.74......98.27
24......6......1.04......99.31
25......3......0.52......99.83
26......1......0.17......100

> On a simply practical side, I think that people
> are more likely to want the simplicity of 3d6 or
> 1d20.

1d20 has a lot of advantages over this system in terms of speed and making
chances of success intuitively obvious (if one considers that an advantage.
>From his recent messages DMG, at least, does not.)

But while I'll readily admit that 1d20 is more straightforward than either 3d6
or d12+d8, I don't really see d12+d8 as more complicated than 3d6.  It just
sounds weird because we're not used to it.

Ty obviously wants the d20, and I'm not trying to argue that this is better in
some absolute sense and he should junk his d20 approach.

But for those who don't like the total 'flatness' of 1d20, I'm just tossing
this out in an attempt to find a viable alternative to the roller-coastery
bellness of 3d6.