(TFT) d20 TFT Conversion Guidelines v1.00

d20 TFT Conversion Guidelines v1.00
By Ty Beard

1. Attribute Rolls
The standard TFT 3d6 attribute roll is converted to a d20 roll. TFT rolls
that are made on different numbers of dice are resolved with a 1d20 roll,
with a modifier applied to the attribute:

2 Dice Rolls: +6
4 Dice Rolls: -6
5 Dice Rolls: -12
6 Dice Rolls: -18
and so on.

So whenever the TFT rules say "make a 4 die roll", you'll make a d20 roll
and reduce the attribute by 6.

A natural 1 always succeeds and natural 20 fails. If you roll a natural 1 in
combat, roll 1d6 1-3 automatic hit. 4-5 double damage. 6 triple damage. If
you roll a natural 20 in combat, roll 1d6 1-3 automatic miss. 4-5 dropped
weapon. 6 break weapon.

2. Attribute Modifiers
Whenever a modifier is called for in TFT, double it for d20 TFT. So, if
hitting a foe is +4 DX in TFT, it will be +8 DX in d20 TFT.

3. Special Attribute Issues
For purposes of resolving attribute rolls, treat a TFT IQ of 6 as an IQ of
2. For purposes of resolving attribute rolls, treat a TFT IQ of 5 or less as
an IQ of 1. So, a wolf with IQ 5 will make an IQ roll only if he rolls 1 on
1d20.

4. Polyhedral Weapons Chart (Very Optional)
Those who like polyhedral dice (I confess that I do, at least in RPGs) might
wish to try my Polyhedral TFT Weapons Chart:

SWORDS
Dagger* d4
Rapier d6
Cutlass d10
Shortsword d10+1
Broadsword d10+2
Bastard Sword (1 hand) d10+3
Bastard Sword (2 hands) d10+4
2-handed Sword d12+3
Great Sword d12+5

AXES/HAMMERS/MACES
Club* Varies
Hatchet* d6
Hammer* d8
Mace* d10
Small Ax* d8+1
Military Pick d12+1
Morningstar d12+2
Great Hammer d12+3
Battle Axe d20

MISSILE WEAPONS
Thrown Rock d2
Sling d3
Small Bow d4
Horse Bow d6
Longbow d10
Light Crossbow d12+1
Heavy Crossbow d20

POLE WEAPONS
Javelin* d4
Spear* d6
Spear (2 hands)* d8
Halberd d12
Pike Ax d12+2
Trident* d6
Naginata d8
Cavalry Lance d20-1
Pike d12+2, OR as a spear

PECULIAR WEAPONS
Quarterstaff d6+2
Net* d3
Cestus (Notes)
Whip d4
Lasso* Varies
Boomerang* d12+1
Nunchuks d8
Spear Thrower +2
Sha-ken* 1d3
Arquebust d20+3
Blunderbuss d10

Bare Hand Dmg
ST DAMAGE
8 or less 1d4-3
9 or 10 1d4-2
11 or 12 1d4-1
13 or 14 1d4
14 or 16 1d6
17 to 20 1d8
21 to 24 1d10
25 to 30 1d12
30 to 40 1d12+2
40 to 50 1d20
50 to 60 1d20+2

Note that sword damage is more predictable than hafted weapons' damage -- a
way to distinguish the weapons. If you want, you can change sword damage to
match the hafted weapon damage. Each +1 is statistically equal to increasing
the die one size (except for the jump from d12 to d20). The jump from d12 to
d20 is equivalent to a +4.

5. Variable Armor (Very Optional)
This is a system that lets armor stop a variable amount of hits per attack.
I intend to use it with PCs and critical NPCs:

ARMOR AND SHIELDS

Cloth Armor 1d6-2 or 1d4-1
Leather Armor 1d6-1 or 1d4
Chainmail 1d6