Re: (TFT) d20 TFT Issue -- Armor

----- Original Message -----
From: <srydzews@ix.netcom.com>
To: <tft@brainiac.com>

> I'd say so.  Sure, plate is excessive at -10 DX, but it was excessive
at -5
> too.  A DX 10 guy has a ~5% chance to hit whether you're using standard
TFT or
> this system.

I wonder if the armor DX adjustment system is necessary in a d20 TFT system?
One of the significant benefits of the orginal system is that it acted as a
brake on DX and helped keep characters from getting a high DX too quicky. In
original TFT, an adjDX of 12 was "high" -- ~75% chance of success. On the
other hand, this system had an engaging game effect -- players had to choose
quickness vs ability to take a blow.

Looking at the statistical effect of DX penalties, I chose to focus on the
DX 6-15 range. In that range, a -1 is equivalent to ~9% reduction. (For
comparison, a -1 is equivalent to ~-12% if you look at the DX 9-12 range).
The effects are very roughly linear, so -2 is ~-18% and so on. This results
in these armor DX adjustments:

    Cloth: -2     (-9%)
    Leather: -4     (-18%)
    Chainmail: -5      (-26%)
    Half Plate: -8     (-40%)
    Plate: -9     (-45%)
    Fine Plate: -7     (-34%)
    Small Shield: -2     (-9%)
    Large Shield: -4     (-18%)
    Tower Shield: -5     (-26%)

Obviously, it would be easier to simply double the standard DX adjustments.
But this makes heavier armor even less advantageous.

I may simply use the base TFT armor DX adjustments as is. This will impose a
small penalty on characters (which I think is warranted), yet it will make
armor wearable.

--Ty Beard