RE: (TFT) TFT and Runequest

RQ's combat system was neat and doubtlessly "realistic" (the SCA background
of the authors helped there), but it was overly fussy for my tastes. Also,
it lacked a decent maneuver system (as did almost every game besides TFT,
GURPS and d20). It was pretty easy to get maimed as well -- I recall a
drawing our GM made of our veteran RQ party. Six characters, ten legs and
eight arms!

I prefer TFT's combat system, but would play RQ in lieu of GURPS. I also
didn't like the fact that everyone had magic -- even the village idiot
according to a book of pregenerated NPCs I had!

That said, RQ was state of the art in 1978 and still is today. The Avalon
Hill version was very good as well, IMHO. A thoughtful, classy, genuine
roleplaying classic, in this day and age of overwrought, pretentious
munchkin games that "masquerade" as thoughtful and sophisticated. In case
anyone is unclear, I am talking about the White Wolf claptrap...

--Ty