Re: (TFT) TFT products with rules

On Fri, 18 Oct 2002 09:14:22 -0400 Rogers Cadenhead <rogers@cadenhead.org>
wrote:

> I finally took the plunge and bought some TFT
> rulebooks on EBay at
> outlandish prices. To start off, I'd like to
> pick up the products
> that have rules in them and skip the ones that
> are just scenarios.
> Does anyone have a list, or some advice on what
> the "core books" are?

Hello!

  The list is quite short: Advanced Melee, Advanced Wizard, and In the
Labyrinth.  The Codex is nice to have, but is more of an index/table rehash
than anything.  It has some Q&A of (IMO) dubious value, and no new rules.

Wizard and Melee are the original micro-games that form the basis of the rules
in the Advanced Melee and Advanced Wizard books.  While in theory you can run
a campaign with Melee, Wizard, and ITL, in practice it's difficult without the
"advanced" melee and wizard books.

Of course AM and AW are just rulebooks, the whole thing sort-of assumes that
you ALSO have the Melee and Wizard hexsheets and counters.  If you don't,
though, it's easy enough to re-create them from scratch.  Ask if you are
thinking of doing this.

(Basically if you have choose between Advanced Melee and Melee or Advanced
Wizard and Wizard, go with the 'Advanced' versions.  It's easier to improvise
the maps than the missing rules.  The counters are silly in any case, with
illegible Fraktur lettering.  You're better off with mini's SJ's Cardboard
Heroes, or some of the counters being made now for 3rd edition D&D.)

The GM screens are just screens, nothing new there.

All the other products that I can think of are scenarios.

You'll also want to get SJ's errata.  It was published in The Space Gamer, but
is available on the web.  I don't have the URL handy, but let me know if you
can't find it and I'll check around.

Stan