Re: (TFT) TFT HTH

> Heavy padding, that's amusing. Having worn said padding, and worn armor,
I'd
> say hands down the padding isn't that much (current set of armor is 37
lbs.,
> football stuff is less than 10). The other reason is that flying tackles
are
> unusual for football (if you're competent). Too easy to miss when you do
> that.

 Apparently, I didn't make my side thought on that score very clear, Neil.
I was actually intending a reference to the fact that they weren't so keen
on avoiding injury because of the 'heavy padding', kind of like some of the
SCA heavy fighters...  :/ ah, well!

You're right, I completely missed that way of interpretation.

> Real life? Pardon, but I don't know you well. When was the last time you
> tried to actually engage in HTH with someone with a weapon in a real
fight?
> For me, it was about 10 years ago. I assure you, it would have been the
> height of stupidiy for me to dive at his legs.

 Actually, Neil, that's exactly what I was getting at! (That it's pretty
foolish to dive for the legs.) Normally, I went for the midriff or just
below the shoulders, depending on the opponents height differential between
us. Naturally, If you're coming off a wall, your not going to go for the
midriff, and allow your opponent to simply jump back and watch you go
>thud<!

I usually go for whatever part is closest. I don't tend to go straight for
the body, because their flapping limbs will undoubtedly hurt me somehow.

(Oh BTW, My last such 'debacle' in the SCA or LARP was probably about 10
years ago too. Though I am discounting my recent stint with Amtgard a couple
of years ago, since some purists would probably claim that it doesn't count!
So that's right, Neil, you do not know me...)

Well, I meant real fight, not SCA or such (and I'd definitely discount
Amtgard, though the bunch in Austin wasn't so bad). My reference was to the
last time I had to disarm someone when I worked as a bouncer. Last SCA fight
was yesterday...

 Well, for the most part - Neil,  I think we generally agree about HTH.

I think so too, Tim.

Neil Gilmore
raito@raito.com