Re: (TFT) New weapon list for ranged weapons --> fine bows?

In a message dated 2/21/2003 7:02:06 AM Central Standard Time,
rsmith@lightspeed.ca writes:

>    A book I was reading about the English
> longbows was saying that they were NOT backed
> bows, but simple bows.  (So they required even
> MORE upper body ST to use.)

My understanding of the matter is "they weren't and they were" - that yew
staves had heartwood and sapwood, and that bowyers took advantage of this to
create bows that were "naturally backed" with the sapwood serving as the
back. They were also fairly efficient at transfering energy to the arrow, at
the cost of length (thus "long"bow).

Composite bows can get away with being much shorter, but they need to be kept
scrupulously dry because the glue is water-sensitive (barring modern
materials or magic).

Both types took time and skill to make; I wouldn't want to try to judge which
was "more expensive" or "better" in game terms. They had different advantages
and disadvantages. What *did* make a big difference was draw weight (the St
required to use the bow). High St bows would be much tricker and more
expensive to make than bows requiring a lower St score.

Erol K. Bayburt
Evil Genius for a Better Tomorrow
(who needs to get out to the archery range more often)