Re: (TFT) Question to list on fine bows. --> Stan's comments.

> Actually composite bows do more damage with less
> force drawing it.  They are simply better technology.
> My point is that with extra care, an armorer should be
> able to improve with extra care on the normal, churn
> them out, type bow.

I don't believe this to be true (even if you meant compound instead of
composite). They are better technology, a technology that allows for a bow
with a greater draw weight. A self bow (one made from a stick, if you will)
has limitations. If you want a heavier bow, you need a thicker stick. But
there's a limit, at the point where the belly of the bow is stretching more
than the wood can take. A composite bow uses different materials, instead of
one, uniform material. This allows for a greater draw weight.

However, that's certainly not all to bow making. Part of it is design. Some
bow designs are more efficient, allowing more of the stored energy to be
transferred to the arrow than others at an equal draw weight. This would be
the sort of bow to do more damage.

A compound bow is a different beast entirely. It's made to have a changing
draw weight at different draws, but it's also fairly efficient. Though the
cams do lose a bit of power, that power id applied a bit more smoothly to
the arrow, which tends to allow a smidge better accuracy.

Neil Gilmore
raito@raito.com