Re: (TFT) Forge of Fury. --> Ricks comments.

While it certainly is an interesting theory I think there are some small holes in it. You address one of the problems - wind speed. Another is that the air will eventually cool, thus lowering the pressure and reducing (or even reversing the direction of) the flow.

It is a terrific concept that could be explored a bit more.

Rick,
Here's a bit of dwarven engineering you might like. I used it in a a Warhammer FRP game; it's a scheme for an underground canal.

Step one. The dwarves mine a straight shaft from one side of a mountain range to another (no small matter, of course, but if those maniacs built Moria this should be a reasonable proposition). The shaft slopes very gently downward from one side of the range to the other.

Step two.  Divert an underground river to flow through the shaft.

Step three. Divert a strong continual flow of warm air into the shaft, starting at the 'low' end. (Where does this air come from? Forges, perhaps, or magma for something more exotic.) Being warm, the air will flow up the shaft.

So you have water flowing in one direction and a constant air current in the other direction. This gives easy travel in either direction. To go downstream, furl your sail and ride the current. To go upstream, use sails. There's no annoying tacking and maneuvering, the wind is blowing right in the direction you want to go.

Of course the current has to be pretty moderate or the wind would have to be gale force. And it's probably not sufficient to have a single source of warm air, there would need to be several spaced along the canal's length. But once set up it's pretty low maintenance. In any case it's a lot easier than most canal schemes, with their towpaths and whatnot.

"If you haven't got your health, at least you have something to talk about."

"They say that everything happens for a reason. I am just tired of that reason being to make me unhappy or embarrassed."

"You can't make a baby in a month using nine women! But it sounds like it would be fun to try."