Re: (TFT) Question to list on contests --> subtract down to 10 --> more comme...

In a message dated 8/4/2003 7:19:48 AM Central Daylight Time,
rsmith@lightspeed.ca writes:

> Hi Erol, everyone.
>     This feels very much like the GURPS
> method #1.  Even your modified method costs:
> a calculation to get the modifier, two
> subtractions, 2 rolls 3d6 & compare results.
> I think that even with the modified version,
> it will still be too tough on the weaker
> figure (we have a 3d6 bell curve with almost
> all results falling in a range of 6 results
> or so).

???

I thought I pointed out that an advantage of my method is that it requires
only *one* 3d6 roll. E.g.:

Character A has Dx 15, and Character B has Dx 12. They roll a contest of Dx.
EITHER  Character A rolls 3 dice at a -2 Dx penalty
OR Character B rolls 3 dice at a -5 Dx penalty

The result is symmetric, whichever character rolls - but just *one* character
rolls, not both.

The disadvantage is that the weaker character has a worse chance than in your
method where both character roll: A St 18 vs a St 16 will have an 84% chance
of success, despite having only a 12.5% higher St score. And if you follow the
suggestion I made about halving the penalty, this breaks the symmetry.

Erol K. Bayburt
Erol B1@aol.com