(TFT) Re: TFT Digest V3 #513

Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2003 03:00:18 EDT
From: ErolB1@aol.com
Subject: Re: (TFT) A Thought on the St Cost to Renew Spells

In a message dated 8/15/2003 9:32:00 PM Central Daylight Time,
rsmith@lightspeed.ca writes:

[re my idea of letting the subject of a spell pay the renewal cost for ben
eficial spells]

Love it.

My criteria for "is it too powerful" is: would it become "standard practice" if it were adopted? If so, it's too powerful.

I don't see why this one would *not*, without at least one limitation on it. But I think any of:

recipient knows spell, or
recipient needs a transfer-acceptance magic item, or
Caster needs an advanced version of same spell

would do it. For the last, I'd say "Transferrable" versions of the spell include the original version, and can be learned at an IQ level 4 above that of the original version. I think this idea is my favorite, because it doesn't require "teaming" (ie, what fighter would buy a Transfer-acceptance item unless he *knew* there was going to be a transfer-providing wizard around that knew the corresponding spell?)

Metaphysically, the wizard is binding the spell energization to the life-force of its subject, rather than to the wizard's life-force. I think The Little Death sets a good precedent for this. But that's a pretty high-IQ spell, ergo the +4 IQ requirement. A wizard still can get Transferrable Blur at only IQ 12, but I think using up an action of an IQ-12 (or above) Wizard in a combat is probably enough cost to balance the utility of the spell.

IME, beneficial continuing spells cast by wizards are weak compared to the
same spells granted by magic items - terribly weak if the item grants the spell with no St cost.

There is truth to that, but the costs of acquiring a spell are zero (if the wizard starts with it) vs. something substantial for the item.

This is something my own opinion has firmed up on: It really *should* be
automatic if the casting wizard is willing and the receiving wizard knows the
spell.

In any case, I agree it should be automatic. Else the cost in total actions consumed is too large to make it practical (either in comparison to other magic or in comparison to taking actions more likely to affect the enemy).

--
					- Mark
			210-522-6025, page 888-733-0967