Re: (TFT) Shield rush in Melee

> With sufficient St, a *bare handed* attack will do more damage than a
broad
> sword or battle ax in the hands of an ordinary attacker. On the other
hand, I
> think the damage increase due to wielder's high St alone should be less
than
> the damage increase due to a weapon requiring high St. And damage done
can't
> keep rising at the rate of 1 pt per +1 required St - not in the long run,
or else
> giant's weapons would do 6 to 8 dice of damage. That's one reason why I
> settled on my own rule of +1 damage per +4 extra St (up to St 20 - with a
slower
> increase above that).

Well, only if you maintain the current canon rules. In the rewrite I'm
putzing with I have eliminated the bare handed damage rules altogether - I
simply treat a punch or kick as another weapon, which can be adjusted by
having "higher" ST. Part of the reason I did this was to eliminate having
this wholly separate mechanic, which is clumsy. Agree with the rest of your
statement, though +1/+4 added ST might be too punative.

> > So, I would suggest the following adjustments:
> >
> > Weapon ST 9 or less: +1 damage for every 5ST over minimum
> > Weapon ST 10-11:     +1 damage for every 4ST over minimum
> > Weapon ST 12-13:     +1 damage for every 3ST over minimum
> > Weapon ST 14+:        +1 damage for every 2ST over minimum
>
> This strikes me as over-complicated.

And it IS very over-complicated! However, the following A.M. I came up with
a better idea - simply allow an increase at, say, +1/+3ST over minimum up to
double the basic ST of the weapon. So a rapier ends up going to 1d+4, max
for an 18 ST character (a broadsword would be 2d+2, and for a 24 ST
character would do 2d+4, max).  Needs tweaking but it could be a good basic
approach. Course, still have to figure out what to do with daggers and
clubs...

> IMO the thing to do is to look at how one wants unarmed attacks to
increase
> with St, and then use that as a base for increasing damage with (a)
increasing
> wielder St, and (b) increasing weapon-required St.

This is correct. Which is why I've eliminated the notion of "unarmed damage"
as a separate, disjointed mechanic.