Re: (TFT) Worldbuilding question

In a message dated 5/24/2004 11:32:21 PM Central Daylight Time, pvk@oz.net
writes:

> In many games, you need more than 4-6 guards + 4-6 police in a city,
> unless they are very well equipped, or adventurers and brigands (and/or
> wizards and monsters) can and will take advantage.

Maybe. My own 'style' of worldbuilding is to keep populations very low so
that a party of PCs can be a significant force.

The kingdoms I'm talking about here are postage-stamp-sized: It's unlikely
that there'll be more than one party of adventurers passing through at a time.
Wizards are common, but they're mostly hedge-wizard types. A few will have IQ
14+ and there *might* be *one* archmage of IQ 20+

I also figure that a large (or even a small) "standing" army would be a huge
economic strain on a small kingdom. In case of emergency, they'll call up some
sort of "militia" force. Or hire the PCs. Or both.

Erol K. Bayburt
Evil Genius for a Better Tomorrow