Re: (TFT) Experimental Injury and Healing rules - comments appreciated .

Charles,

After a quick read-through, no playtesting or anything, these are my thoughts.

      I really like the differentiation of chemical/herbal healing salves from alchemical elixers.  It always seemed to me that if every master physicker could make a healing potion it could not require too much magic to do it, and I like that chemists can make a salve too.  I think this is a great idea, and I think the extra magical component of alchemy is clear in the effect on grave wounds.

I also kinda like making reaction to injury based on specific fractions of strength - it should get a smoother (less step-wise) function, and is a logical outgrowth of the expanded reaction to injury charts we've all seen (and probably all use).  I see the logical extension of this to targeted body parts (arms, legs & head), and while I am not a big user of hit location, I do like the ST based saving throw you add.

I think the spells may well accomplish what you want (more healing, but not D&D healing from a firehose) but I think Heal should cost more.  Drain ST, and Strength Battery charging both cost 5 ST per point of fatigue provided, so it seems real ST points should be more costly.  But I may not be a good source of advice on this since I like the lack of healing in TFT so naturally want it to be even harder and more expensive to get healed.

Finally, even with some healing magic, I think introducing grave wounds will be brutal to a combat heavy party (unless they have very powerful wizardly healing around).  Especially when they start getting lingering effects, and have to go questing to get regrowth spells cast on them. (BTW I like this spell)

Big picture, I think the rules you recommend go a long way to getting where you wanted to get, more depiction of injury, coupled with more healing.  I think it would lead to potentially darker and more gritty combat missions, coupled with always looking to get some of that rare magical healing.

I also think every PC wizard will start at 9, 11, 12 and put their first 4 points into IQ, because the healing is so freaking valuable at IQ 16.  But that may just be me.

For me, I like the TFT mix now, where combat is simple, brutal, and deadly, and healing is slow but fully effective.  I deal with the illogic of revival by simply not having that spell (or potion, or youth potion for that matter) in my game.

I go for the extra simplicity because I am the GM and don't want any extra work.  As a player, I think your new injury/healing rules might be fun, especially if you, as GM were doing the work.

John