Re: (TFT) Experimental Injury and Healing rules - comments Examples

Erol actually addressed this question of mine in a later e-mail. Recommend
you check out the thread, too, if you get a chance.

Interesting reading on the site you posted, Alan, but it is not really
relevant to the topic of *impairment*. It is well established that even
mortally injured individuals can still perform astounding feats of martial
prowess. That is not the issue. The real issue is whether or not they are
impaired (i.e. have a penalty to DX as a result of wounds).

While Erol uncritically accepts claims that there is no such thing as a
"death spiral" (i.e. where wounds start to wear down one's ability to fight,
as in the -2/-3 DX penalties for wounds in TFT) I tend to be a bit more
skeptical, for reasons outlined in an earlier post from yesterday.

As far as I can tell there is simply no proof that humans become invincible,
unshakeable automatons in battle - they may well keep functioning, but there
is nothing to suggest that they do so without impairment.

Consider: if I inflict an otherwise minor cut on an adversary's forehead,
and he has blood poring into his eyes, is he not impaired? Last I checked
even the most heady of adrenilan rushes is not going to grant one X-Ray
vision; one still has to wipe away blood, which will most certainly be at
least a solid -1 DX adjustment - perhaps more. And yet this is at most a 1
point injury!

Erol appears to be (as near as I can follow, anyway) rather simplistically
assuming that no pain = no impairment. But as I have pointed out both here
and in my earlier post that may not be the case; one has to look at other
factors as well. Note that I am not trying to poo poo his suggestion - he
does have some good reasons for making it - but I think there is ample
logical reason to think the assumption is wrong. Certainly no scientific
evidence backs the idea - again, all of the studies cited clearly are geared
to answering the question whether or not one keeps fighting. None attempt
even remotely to measure in any meaningful objective manner whether or not
the injured figure is impaired in someway (other than correctly pointing out
that they are essentially blocking out any pain). Which would be a challenge
in any case - just how do you tell if someone is at 100% vs. 83.7% vs.
69.2%??? Obviously that will be a tad difficult, when you sit down and
really think about it.

Note that some rewriting of this whole part of the injury rules is called
for; but I do not think the idea itself should be discarded. At least not
based on what has thus far been discussed. I'm certainly open to more
discussion on this, though!

Thanks all for the feedback on this. Very much appreciated. I've already
begun quite a bit of rewriting as a result. Hope to post these revisions
soon.