Re: (TFT) new rules: UC talents and character generation

Hi All !

First, I want to thank everyone who visited my TFT website. I just got done uploading new pages and new material (including illustrations). Take a look and tell me what you think. http://johntft.tripod.com

Second, I want to thank Rick Smith and Charles Gadda for taking the time to compose their thoughtful responses. I considered what both had to say.

I'm going to keep my alternative system for generating characters. It's an option (as are all house rules), but I prefer the extra realism that comes with establishing limits to characters' attributes. The complexity is, alas, real, but it's not too much of a chore for those who have had experience with D&D; for others, it can be mastered relatively quickly.

As for the UC talents . . .

Charles really got to the gift of the matter when he wrote: "It is highly irregular that one can be a master swordsman with a mere two talents, and require more than double that to master unarmed fighting."

After much thought, I must agree with Charles. TFT has a system for most combat talents: a basic skill (IQ 7 or 8) and a higher talent (IQ 8, 9 or 10) that represents mastery. For example, Bow and Missile Weapons. So, given that, I realized that I should follow that pattern for unarmed combat.

Hence, I greatly reworked my UC talents. I boiled it down to TWO talents: UC 1 and UC 2. For details, check my website.

OK, it is way past my bedtime, so I will close here. Again, thanks to everyone for the warm welcome I have received here; and thanks especially to Rick and Charles for their well thought out and very well intentioned comments. It is a pleasure to be able to discuss ideas about TFT with others.

Be well.

--John