RE: (TFT) Heretical notion --> DoU

I agree on all counts. The jabs to SJ are all over the place in Interplay,
Metagaming ads, games they produced, etc.

About more material, that was one reason why I was fishing for CoU, to see
if it really was going to provide something new. Another reason was that it
seemed that CoU must have been finished or very close to it, as DoU was
supposedly developed in response to the scenarios developed for CoU.

You are quite right. If I had bought it expecting that, I'd be annoyed too.
I was definitely approaching my interpretation of it without a historical
context, as I never remember actually seeing DoU in stores when it first
came out. It is certainly true that there was almost nothing new there, but
from the perspective of trying to teach the overall concept of TFT to
newcomers, especially younger newcomers (such as I hope my kids to be), it
does a pretty good job, and in one book as well.

It's more like part of the difficulty progression for TFT, as opposed to a
separate system

DoU -> M,W,ItL -> AM,AW,ItL

So DoU is like an officially blessed "homebrew" Introduction to TFT,
although as Rick points out of course, it would never be billed that way.

If TFT had been released properly ( either 1 book or a boxed set, with an
organized index, etc.) things may have been different

One other odd historical note. Has anyone else ever noted that Forest Lords
of Dihad is considered a Gamelords product licensed by Metagaming, while
Warrior Lords of Darok is considered a Metagaming product produced by
Gamelords?

- Marc Gacy