Re: (TFT) John's healing spell.

In a message dated 4/6/2005 8:38:24 PM Central Standard Time,
rsmith@lightspeed.ca writes:

> Hi John,
>    Normally it takes 2 days to heal one point of
> damage (way too fast but hey, it is a fantasy
> game).  Using your spell, it costs 10 fST which
> you can recover in 2.5 hours.  One of the nice
> things about TFT is that wounds were far more
> dangerous than in D&D.  In TFT you can't do the
> fight, heal, fight loop that you see in the
> D&D dungeon crawls.

I have to point out that while this may be the
majority opinion on the list, it isn't a consensus.
Some of us consider the grim, gritty, & lethal
nature of combat and injury to be a bug,
rather than a feature of by-the-book TFT.

That said, any magical healing spell or
system is going to run up against a dilemma:
If it's too good, it will become the standard
treatment for injury. But if it's crocked
enough not to become the standard
treatment, it will seem annoying weak
and limited.

So you either need to embrace really
limited magical healing (and even the
by-the-book healing potion is too good
& needs to be crocked if you do this).
Or else you need to design a magical
healing system that you can accept as
the standard method of recovery from
injury, with "natural" healing being the
emergency fall-back.