Re: Re: (TFT) Melee and Heroscape - House Rules

David,

The table reads much better, thanks   :)

Here's a pictorial representation about my idea for 1/4 tile:

         ___
                ( )    <== head
          H    | X |   <== chest/thorax
              `| X |   <== upper legs
         ___     X     <== knees/feet

This is for an humanoid of average proportions.

In the case of a Giant (H=4) vs a Hobbit (H=1):

           O                      O
           X                      X
           X\                     X\
           X \                    X \
           X  \                   X  \
           X   `                  X   `
           X                      X    \
       ____X \o               ____X \o  \
      |     |_X___           |     |_X___\

    unarmed vs sword         club vs sword

My original thought was that the Hobbit should be able to
attack the giant's feet but that the giant can't attack
the hobbit without bending over to do so.  In the pictures
above, the figures are positioned in the hex where they
are within range of each other.  ( it gets bad when you
put them in the middle of the hex - but maybe thats a
scaling issue with the size of my 'hexes'. )

But you should be able to see what I'm trying to get at
by adding in the weapon length.  In the first case, the
hobbit is clearly out of the giant's range -- but the
giant can definitely hit the hobbit with a club that
extends his reach.

I think you can see where I was coming from with the
issue of Height Advantage as well.  Its like swinging a
baseball bat.  The "sweet spot" is the strike zone -
which is from the shoulders to the knees.  If you swing
at targets below that, you actually lose force ( unless
you are jabbing down, which is another issue - probably
more damage at a minus to hit )  Which is why I was
suggesting an advantage for targets which are slightly
below you, but a disadvantage for targets greatly below
you.

On reflection, I think I would have two-handers range
from 1/2 to 1.0 times your figure height.  You'd have
to scale these accordingly - a 2-handed hobbit pitch-
fork is a 1-or-2 hander for a dwarf, a 1-hander for a
human and a salad fork for a giant.

I've been thinking about TFT3D for a while as well --
my original goal was to be able to play a "Capture the
Flag" scenario, complete with 3D flight rules, etc.
Never really made it out of the idea stage though as
LOS becomes a problem.  But it does add a fascinating
aspect to the boardgame.

Dan