Re: (TFT) the future of paper and pencil games

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 08:41:01 -0500
"John Gfoeller" <johng3110@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I don't know what "MMORPG" means, but I see your basic point.

MMORPG = Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game.

>  And, I would
> tend to agree.  I've talked with some younger people who like to play
> computer games.  Out of curiosity, a couple of them tried paper and pencil
> FRPGs (usually D&D).  They found them to be quaint in game design
> (pre-computer technology) and fun for the social interaction.

I'm a big boardgame fan, preferring a few people sitting at a table
pushing pieces around, and I have found that it's hard to get teens and
young adults to sit down and play a game that doesn't involve a computer.
Folks my age and younger kids tent to be more amenable, though.

> Finally, there are the folks like me who remember the paper and pencil games
> from our youth; the reason for my (and others'?) interest is primarily
> nostalgia.
>
> I don't think there is much of a "market" in terms of business.

WotC seems to still do well with DnD, but I agree there's not a big
market for other entries in the field.  DarkCityGames is a good example
of this.  They have a great set of products, but they're not likely to
go beyond a niche market.  I'd love to be proven wrong on that, though!