RE: (TFT) Traveller & TFT

Funny, I enjoyed Traveler too. I think both TFT and Traveler tried to present FRPing with a strong emphasis on rationality and responsibility: you can make your own characters, worlds, etc., but it was also really easy for a character to die or otherwise experience the consequences of it actions. Also, I loved the milieu for each game: Cidri and the Third Imperium. Good settings for creating interactive stories. And, ultimately, that is what FRPing is about: interactive stories, interactive narrative.

-- John

From: "Gavin Gossett" <Gavatar@comcast.net>
To: <tft@brainiac.com>
Subject: (TFT) Traveller & TFT
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 16:51:50 -0500

I've also been attracted to Traveler over the past few decades, although I've never played it. I specifically remember an early issue of SpaceGamer which reviewed "Snapshot" and piqued my curiosity. I just recently sold the three
traveler-based boardgames I owned for 25 years - AND NEVER PLAYED!

My problem is, my mind just doesn't 'think' Sci-Fi. I'm programmed to think Fantasy, whether Hi or Low, Dark or Classic. Sometimes my dark-fantasy-style
games have a taste of science, as in Hawkmoon (by Chaosium), but it just
doesn't hold up for me or my players very well compared to good-old-fashioned
Swords & Sorcery!

So, could it be that TFT players are just doomed to Lurk on the far reaches of
Traveler and never join the in the fight?

Gavin