Re: (TFT) Magic in combat and TFT...

Hi Rick and Ed and all;

    Yes!  Exactly on target.  As an ex-enginerd (who installed insulation to
help get through college) I love the idea of someone inventing an insulation
spell.

      One issue: you mentioned my comment about "short spell life".    Sure,
spells last plenty long already for a quick meeting engagement between squads
or companies.  (But we've all run into the problem of having a spell that
works great for the party's needs but will drain the wizard in about 30 turns,
and the encounter is going to last for hours...) I'd agree with your comments
about wizard power in terms of the dungeon adventure, a quest or the like.
What I meant was think in terms of a battle that may last a morning... or
three days... with bouts of intense combat every few minutes... the victory
may go to the guys who spent their time thinking about apprentice DX, Aid
spells and all the things we've been talking about.   I'm not even in favor of
beefing up wizard's power, I guess I'm complaining: when you have a "Flash
Gate" spell and a nuke, well, nobody is safe anymore!   If military planner
spent a few centuries working on military spells... shudder!

    While I was writing, Ed's comments came in, about the Wheat Rust spell
that spreads like fire, and Disjunction.  I think I mentally called it a Flash
One Way Gate, obviously Ed's got that nailed long ago.

>>Disjunction is an expansion of the Gate Technomagy, it allows the
transportation of a thing from a 'there' which is very near to a 'here' (which
is usually the caster), to another 'there', which is in theory both computable
and choosable, but which in practice is actually left at 'someplace else'.
Disjunction originated from an investigation of some similarities in the
magical energies of Gate and Open Tunnel.

>>Reading back over the above, it appears that the central 'issue' is Gate.
Combine Gate and Astral, with either hoards of apprentices or merely legions
of apprentices and Aid-leveraging technomagy, remove moral and societal limits
on magical ambition, and your empires will seek out the seeds of their own
destruction.

>>And eventually find them.

    (This remind you of any planet we live on??)

But I've got an even worse scenario for you guys:

    Wouldn't a dictator spend a lot on his potions to keep himself youthful?
Wouldn't he then spend centuries perfecting population control spells?  Mass
Glamour, Mega-hex Mind Control, Wide Area Mind Control, Mass Telepathy.  Steve
Jackson alluded to it somewhere... "No matter how powerful the wizard kings
become on one continent..."

    Maybe the solution is to assume that if you have to go from say IQ 8 for a
one hex / one person effect, up to IQ 18 for a seven hex effect, then you have
to go to an IQ 28 spell to extend it out one more hex of radius (a CHITIN: I
megahex, that is, 19 hexes), and IQ 38 to make it work one more hex radius
out, etc.  Problem: there are *already* spells in the toolkit of AW which are
not "hex / area / person" based: I still offer you the wizard with a megaphone
and WOC spell!

    Hmm, let's kill this thread before it kills us.

    Craig