Re: (TFT) Trademark

Craig,

I think they basically got the trademark for advertizing purposes.  On
RPG websites (like RPG.Net) they run ads like

"where The Fantast Trip (tm) left off, Legends of the Ancient Worlds
begins"

This seems to have become their unofficial slogan, since it shows up on
their website and their e-bay store too.

Since they startd as a TFT fan site with an HTM-ized numbered paragraph
TFT adventure, they wanted to capitalize on the remaining cachet of the
TFT trademark, without causing confusion that they owned the rights to
the original game.

They so far just sell adventures on the web (as far as I can tell they
are not widely distributed through stores).  And give away a free
ruleset (very bare bones and fairly compatable with TFT, but enough
twists to make it distinct) that is good enough for an adventure
module, but I don't know if there is enough there to run a campaign
(the skill section is pretty light).

They are talking about creating "The book of heros"  a fleshed out
version of their ruleset, including western and SF rules, but I think
that may also be primarily available on the web.

Anyway, to answer your question, they have never said they intended to
shut down TFT fan sites, and given that they started as one it would
seem unlikely.  Also, I exchanged a few e-mails with them when they
astarted, and they seem like good guys, and TFT fans, alot like the
folk on this list.  So while I cannot say for certain, I don't think
hey will be going after fan sites.

Also, I hope that their full ruleset works out great, since I intend to
get a copy when available.  Maybe we will all be able to play an "in
print" game soon.

John

-- "Craig W. Barber" <craigwbar@comcast.net> wrote:
Not criticizing, BTW!!  Getting a hold of the registration would be a
great
move to revive TFT commercially.  Basically, as long as it's locked out
of the
hobby stores, we're all stuck.  If they can use the name to bring out
a highly
similar product with a different "expression of ideas", then TFT can
come
back.   Anyone know what the plan is?  Is Dark City going to use the TM
reg to
get product onto store shelves?

Craig Barber