(TFT) Attribute ratings for real people

At 21:45 -0400 9/19/06, LifeisFun wrote:
after a few minutes of trying to wield it in a combat situation, you'd be hurting for technique.

Brings up something I've been interested in for a while (and we've written about before, at least a bit).

One thing about ST: it doesn't seem to much correspond to endurance. I mean, most TFT combats last around one minute or so, so if you can swing a sword 12 times in a row, I think you qualify as having ST for that weapon. However, many of us don't have access to realistic weapons and don't have a good way of discerning whether we are strong enough to wield the weapons effectively, even if we did.

Bow weapons provide a minor exception to this, although there's always the debate about just how heavy (draw weight) a longbow is. My rule of thumb is that a bow of (10 * n) pounds draw weight should do (n) hits of damage on the average. That puts a Melee "longbow" at 55 lbs. draw weight (average damage 5.5). (I have claimed in other posts that the English longbows were heavier than this.)

There are a couple of independent measures in TFT - how much you can shift, how much you can lift, how much you can walk with, etc. are given in kg. as a function of ST. That provides an absolute measure which is reasonably accessible to most.

IQ is also possible to estimate, simply by adding up talents. I'd be a little careful about claiming weapon talents, but then modern coaching in fencing, e.g. is probably a lot more effective per unit time than what medieval swordsmen got. Many of the other talents listed have good modern equivalents: paramedic training -> Physicker, etc. There is often not an exact correspondence - I know integral calculus and a few computer programming languages, so I don't feel bad claiming Mathematician even though I'm no astrologer.

DX is the real sticking point, for me. I can take my bow, back off 3 megahexes (depends a little bit on the size of the megahex, but I'm still probably in the -1 adjDX band) and loose 6 arrows in 30 seconds. Then I can figure effective adjDX by working backward from the fraction of the arrows that land in a 6-inch circle ("hits"), and averaging over many volleys. But I don't really believe that equates to combat conditions, and I really don't know how to derate for that.

I suspect that I'm near low man on the totem pole on this list as far as experience in mock combat, so all of the above should be taken as a request for advice more than as how it should be. Comments welcome!
--
                           Mark Tapley, Dwarf Engineer
                       (I haven't cleared my neighborhood)