Re: (TFT) defending --> High DX in Dave S. Thail campaign.

On Tue, 2006-09-26 at 11:36, Steve Reinhardt wrote:
> Hi.  Sorry for the long post.  I don't contribute very often, so I am
> making up for lost time. ;-)

  Great, and glad to hear from you Steve.

> Please comment on the following.
> A common perceived shortcoming of TFT that has recently come up again is
> the fact that high DX figures are no harder to hit than anyone else.
> Some good solutions have been presented.  Besides special weapon
> talents, some of my favorites are the defense roll used in Dave
> Seagraves online Thail campaign and ...

  I am in the Thail campaign (I play Flinch) and have
a word of warning.  I think that DX is the most powerful
attribute and the Thail rules make it even MORE powerful.
Flinch has NO weapon talents (he uses a crowbar as a
club) and he can out fight specialized fighters because
of his high DX.  I can make called shots with my thief's
DX and people can't hit me thru the front because of the
automatic defense that these rules give me.

  Deanna was playing Summer (a Fighter class) and she
had more attributes than me.  However she had a normal
DX where as I had put all of my attributes into DX so I
could pick locks.

  Turned out that there are no locks to pick in Thail (to
the first approximation).  However, the high DX sure came
in handy in combat...

  Regards, Rick.