Re: (TFT) Reaction Rolls

In a message dated 10/10/2006 7:58:26 PM Central Daylight Time,
someotherwag@earthlink.net writes:

> As a GM, I prefer to decide for myself how an NPC reacts, rather than
> use a random die roll.  What if a game scenario says that a
> particular NPC should give them a vital clue or serve them as a
> guide, and you roll a six?

Well, 6 = maximally friendly for the circumstances, so that's not a problem
:)

I take your point, though. When it's "intuitively obvious" how an NPC will
react, then that's how the NPC will react and I won't roll dice. The thing is,
it very often ISN'T obvious to me as GM how an NPC will react - I have zillions
of NPCs in my game-world and I can't lovingly hand-craft each one. Also, the
various talents, spells, etc. that cause reaction modifiers ought to have an
effect, and having them affect the roll is one way to do so.

> I liked the old D&D book that had "immediate attack" on the NPC
> reaction table.  We used to say that if you went into a strange bar,
> one time out of ten the bartender would vault over the bar and try to
> strangle you.

That's why I use relative/reasonable results, instead of absolute ones. If
the bartender rolls a 1 (= unfriendly as is reasonable under the circumstances),
he won't reach out to strangle you, but he will give you the old hairy eye
and may refuse to serve you. OTOH if a bar fight does break out, you're the one
he'll blame and attempt to use the bung starter on in his attempt to break it
up.

Erol K. Bayburt
Evil Genius for a Better Tomorrow