Re: (TFT) Re: TFT Digest V3 #879

In a message dated 2/12/2007 11:59:33 PM Central Standard Time,
Sethkimmel@aol.com writes:

> > We ended up expanding to 5
> > attributes - STR (Strength), CON (Constitution), DEX (Dexterity), INT
> > (Intelligence), and KNW (Knowledge).  A starting character is 54 points
> > instead of 32.  There can't be a difference of more than 3 points
> > between STR and CON, or between INT and KNW.
> >

> It's starting to sound like C+S which makes me nervous...:-)

Yeah.

My own solution to the split-attribute problem is to (a) make disadvantages
into "negative cost" talents, having them increase characters'
talent/spell/language points rather than having them add to attribute totals. And (b) to
include "limited" St, Dx, and IQ among the disads:

====
Limited Dx (-1 per level): This talent can represent either having the full
quickness and agility of one's Dx score, but reduced manual dexterity; or
having the manual dexterity but reduced quickness and agility. For each level of
this talent, the character suffers a -1 Dx penalty on the appropriate sorts of
Dx rolls. Note that weapon use and spell-casting both require both sorts of
Dexterity, so that either version of this talent will give a penalty to weapon
use and spellcasting.

Limited IQ (-1 per level): This talent represents having the full memory and
willpower of one's IQ score, but less mental quickness or perceptiveness. For
each level of this talent, the character suffers a -1 penalty on IQ when
rolling to notice things, when making IQ rolls based on mental quickness or wit,
and when attempting to meet the minimum IQ needed to learn a talent or spell.
The character does not suffer this penalty when making IQ rolls based on
willpower, or when determining the number of points of talents, spells and languages
the character can learn. For example, a hero character with IQ 12 and 3 levels
of Limited IQ could only buy talents requiring IQ 9 or less but could still
buy 24 points worth of talents (plus the bonus points for Limited IQ and other
negative cost talents).
    Note that this talent does apply when using IQ to determine the amount of
noise a wizard needs to make when casting a spell.

Limited St (-1 per level): This talent represents having the full endurance
and toughness of one's St score, but less raw physical prowess. For each level
of this talent, the character suffers a -1 penalty on St when determining
bonus damage from high Strength, when calculating lifting ability and encumbrance,
or when attempting to meet the minimum St score needed to use a weapon or to
buy the Large Size talent. Goblins have three levels of Limited St as part of
their racial package.

Note: One point of Limited St, Dx, or IQ may either be taken or bought off
whenever the character increases the appropriate attribute by one point.
======

So that tough-but-scrawny wizard with a lot of experience might have St 16
and 5 levels of Limited St, leaving him with an adjusted St 11 for weapons,
encumberance, and the like, St 16 for fatigue and hit points, and 5 extra points
to buy talents and spells.

Erol K. Bayburt
Evil Genius for a Better Tomorrow