(TFT) Re: TFT Digest V3 #914

In a message dated 8/26/07 9:03:48 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
tft-owner@brainiac.com writes:

> For generalization we can assume that one family of farmers (2 parents & 4
> kids) can support 4 non-farmers

I'd question this ratio. Logically to me it would seem that it would take
several families to yield enough of a surplus (we are talking SUBSISTENCE farming
I think...) to support one or two other individuals. To be fair I have no
data in front of me and could be wrong. In an agricultural society I'm guessing
that 80-90% of the inhabitants would be farmers. Of course this being ITL,
perhaps magic and/or increased mundane knowledge could increase crop yields and/or
improve animal husbandry...