Re: (TFT) Building

The above described town is only self sustaining, no profit.
A littleeconomic nit picking here.

That is not entirely true.  No agricultural exports maybe, but there is profit there.  The farmers raise more than they consume, and sell the rest, so theygenerate a profit.  The other townsfolk who buy and consume the produce do something to earn at least enough to buy the food (else they would starve, or have to abandon their trades and grow food themselves) Technically, if they were rational actors they would only engage in another activity if it were more profitable than farming, but most people are not that rational.

A town such as this would be a pretty robust economic scene due to some real productive agriculture it could support a large trade and administration  class.  Or a warrior class in dangerous areas.

I kinda like the idea though, it gives a sense of the extended community to support a 1000 person town.

John

-- "Jay Carlisle" <selfinflicted_wounds@boardermail.com> wrote:

For generalization we can assume that one family of farmers (2 parents & 4
kids) can support 4 non-farmers.

With irrigation it takes about 250 acres to support those 10 people per
year. This area is approximately equal to 10 city blocks. We'll call this
unit 1 Farm.

To support a town of 1000 people it takes 1500 farmers working 250 farms or
62,500 acres. These farmers would require 250 houses and there would have to
be about 175 homes in the town proper to house the populace. Total 425
Houses and 250 Farms.

Assuming 1 house is 2 megahexes and 1 farm has about 1 megahex of associated
structures this is about 1100 megahexes of buildings that would take about
53,900 man days of work. This is almost 150 years of nonstop work for 1
person. For the entire population it would take about 3 weeks to build this
town. (assuming they all know Building)

The above described town is only self sustaining, no profit.