Re: (TFT) Building

> First I want a city to work like SimCity in that PCs should be able
> to "Build" things and see the effects in Downtime.

In order to do this I need a standard sized Tile/Hex that will function much like the grid in SimCity. Idealy this hex should serve tripple duty.
1: A grid unit for building

2: It should also serve as a production tile for this scale i.e. even if the hex has no buildings it still might be used for crops, grazeing, mineing etc.

3: It should be able to serve as a map for mass-combat at this scale. (ever get annoyed with the barbarians in Civ running around tearing up your fields?)

Okay I wanna have an Urban and a Rural Hex and I don't wanna invent some measure so...

2.471 acres = 1 hectare
and according to World Book I get about 2.375 acres for a city Block. (16 lots 15X38m each w/connecting streets and alley)

That's good enough for me. Call 'em city Blocks in town and Hectares in the country.

I'm gonna use my squat hexes for area discussion here because the big red squares are equal in area to a Hex so no funny conversions from regular hexes.

Okay so I then run into this.
As best I care to figure it 1 acre squared would have a side of 208.7ft which is a bit over 60m. So a square hectare should have a side in the ballpark of 250m. Bendwyn uses 20m sts. Squad Leader uses 40m sts. 250m sts is WAY too big to see the detail I want. So lets call 1 Mega-hex a Hectare/Block.

> Second I'd like this stuff to translate up the scale in such a
> fassion that a HEX on the Melee Scale logically expands to a kinda
> Civ 'city tile'.

Okay up a factor here.
Eye Altitude should be at about 16,000 ft. which gives a view of about 330 miles across.
Most U.S. states will fit in that box.
I can look up states in the World Book.
The World Book has resource maps for each state and each country.
As long as the timeline is advanced far enough for a resource to be useful it can be discovered/exploited by PC's or NPC's on an economic track.
Once found a resource is listed on the map.