Re: (TFT) Re: Building; square megahex

>Hexes can be counted.
>the math is burried with the counting...

Yeah, agreed.  And thanks again for the kind words, hey, I'm going crazy,
wanna come?

Fundamental problems:

Condition 1)  Humans build buildings square, then later some Chinese genius
makes the whole city square.  We play football on rectilinear fields, play
chess on square boards...

Condition 2)    Outside the building / city Mother Nature lets things grow any
old way: Mother Nature is one lousy housekeeper.  Even hexes don't necessarily
solve the problem: I seem to recall that the grognards at SPI had an on-going
battle for YEARS back in the 1970s or so, argueing about whether rivers should
be regularized to follow hexsides or treated as a hex terrain that wanders in
and out of hexes naturally.

Maybe we ARRGGGHHHH!!!!! have two different mapping systems?  Use rulers
outside the city, squares or square megahexes inside the city.

Dangit, Jay, now you've got me typing stream of consciousness here.

Craig B

PS  The dwarves like to tunnel, however, on the basis of an irregular pattern
of hexagons alternating with squares and triangles, while elven buildings are
laid out on floorplans of non-recursive irregular patterns of infinite wonder
and beauty.   Really.  Honest.

PPS

>Have you ever met people who hated math?

I went to law school with a girl who took our patent / copyright class after
the teacher promised we wouldn't do any math.  At one point, the prof noted
that 2 cubed could be expressed several different ways: 2 to the 3rd, or 2
times 2 times 2, etc.  She raised her hand and reproached him for the hard
math.  That girl (a nice person, FWIW) graduated top 10%, Order of the Coif,
and is sure to be a Federal Judge someday...  Arrggghhhh!!!!! again.

OK, that's enough brain damage today.  I'll be quiet.

CB