RE: (TFT) 1977

> > It started in early 1977...> >
> > Melee appeared> > also in '77 another little title came out.> > Squad
Leader> >> > a very quick analysis> > Melee 1.3m hex sts (side to side)> > ITL
each hex represents a megahex on the labyranth map ergo 4m sts> > Squad Leader
40m hex sts> >> > If you want mass combat you couldn't possably ask for a more
> > fortunate coicendince.

> From: David Miller
> Subject: Re: (TFT) 1977> Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2007 18:56:54 -0500> > Jay
Carlisle, you are truly the last of the great TFT philosophers.> > On Aug 25,
2007, at 4:26 PM, Jay Carlisle wrote:>
     Here is a bit of hearsay on my part.  I remember reading that the
designer of Squad Leader commented about Role Playing games once.  I've made
games that had individual units, but if I had known it could be taken _that_
far...
     Squad leader has this nice bombed out WWII village and while moving your
units through if the take enemy fire they have to make a morale check.  There
are individual units that may be stacked with the squad that are Leader units,
and they have a ( you guessed it ) leadership score that modifies the squads
morale check.  One thing really stands out in my memory about the game.
Negative leadership score.  There was actually a poor officer who's leadership
would cause the squad to fail their morale check more often.  I mean, it makes
sense really.  To this day I can role play out scenarios in my mind of what
that officer is like.

David Michael Grouchy II