(TFT) Re: Avert/Vampires

Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 23:26:36 -0500
From: "Todd Roseberry" <paleryder1@verizon.net>
Subject: (TFT) Avert Spell

Gents,

...I looked at AW and realized that I don't recall how to play the Avert spell.

...How do you guys play this spell?

Aidan
------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 22:37:54 -0700
From: Rick Smith <rsmith@lightspeed.ca>
Subject: Re: (TFT) Avert Spell  --> TFT vampire rules suck.

...I remember once my wizard was closely surrounded
by 6 evil wizards.  I had MH Avert and cast it on
my own hex!!!!

Smart! I like it! But how did you end up 2 Hex/turn farther away from yourself? Oh, I get it, just move 2 Hex/turn in any direction.

:-)

So they had to move 2 hexes per turn and could
not cast spells.

Since a figure can only cast a spell if it moves 1 hex.
They could have changed weapons, I guess...

I don't think that it would hurt things if the
Vampire Avert had a maximum range of 5 Mhexes
or something.

I agree with Rick's interpretation. Caster can stand still or move, victims have to end up 2 Hexes farther away (or 3/DX to avoid falling down if they can't, due to walls, cliffs, etc.)

This seems subject to abuse by an elven wizard with running who knows Avert; I'd rule that figures that move 2 hexes away from the wizard's location *at the time of their movement* satisfy the requirement - they can't be "chased" into falling by the wizard moving faster than they can. They could be "herded", though, which seems reasonable.

I was underwhelmed by the TFT vampire rules.
The Vampyre rules in an Interplay were a bit
better.  I suggest that you rewrite them before
your adventures since THEY SUCK.

Not entirely sure I agree. +6 ST, levitate, and heal could be a reasonably good combination, particularly for an evil wizard. It would not be easy to lose 1 vs 1 fights with those advantages. Those plus a handful of well-chosen magic items (shapeshift, blur, +5 Dx dagger), either for a wizard or a fighter, could make the vampire pretty tough to handle.

That, combined with a good player (or referee) maximizing the vampire's advantages by making use of night, fog, spooky castle, etc. could still make it seem like a pretty tough foe.

 But: