Re: (TFT) Conical hexes - was Re: (TFT) Beware the ides of March...

I'm guessing at the Orbit bit.
I'll crunch that while checking it against Mr. Barbers reference.
Orbits for Sci-Fi.
Altitude for maps pulled off Google Earth.
Also mountains are good landmarks from miles around and eleavation helps determine if a peak is visable.

Orthographic
Stereographic
Sinusoidal
Alber's
Lambert Azimuthal
Azimuthal Equidistant
Mollweide
Van Der Grinten
Tons more,

I go with Mercator and cross my fingers.

When all is said and done you are probably right here Peter.
I'm playing a hunch with the geometry, but if it works out it'd prove really useful from a Space pov.

My benifits here are several.

First, by having Earth described in game terms, other worlds can be described via their deaviation from Earth norm.

Next, additional detail dosn't hurt (IMO).
I look at this like all those areas Tolkien drew up but never appeared to use in LOTR.

Then you can do things with plot, like timetravel for example.

Dieitys, Mnoren, Lovecraftian critters, etc. all might have abilities that require mega-altitudes.
Also quite a few natural events.

Finally, stuff gets smaller under sea pressure.
LOL

Anyhoo, I'll have to see if Orbits described this way are even feasable.
If so it'd just be too easy not to include it.

We'll see...

Jay