Re: (TFT) Staff and Pole Ax

Richard,

I don't have my books handy either. So this is off the top of my head.
:o)
As I understand it in TFT:AW ...
Ferrous metals (Iron and steel) inhibit the use of magic.
A wizard casting a spell whilst encumbered with iron or steel is at -4DX.
Non-ferrous metals and other materials generally don't inhibit magic use.
So bronze, copper, gold, silver, mithril, etc. items are okay for wizards to carry.
Note some of these metals are less effective for weapon manufacture.

A wizard casting a spell whilst encumbered with iron or steel is at -4DX.

i) I think the penalty only applies to magic use.

ii) I don't think it was ever stated how much iron or steel it takes to effect casting.

Presumably a wizard with sword talent could fence with an iron/steel sword (or an illusion of an iron/steel sword) without penalty but would be advised to lay it down before spell casting.

A spell or enchantment can be cast on an iron or steel item such as a sword without penalty. Also a wizard could create an illusion of an iron item without penalty.

I like the silver Naginata too. In my campaign world there is no China or Japan, oriental weaponry from AM tends to be asociated with Goblins. The naginata is known as a goblin sword-spear and they can use Fencing with it!

Back to staffs.
Some house-rule enhancements for the staff spell include;

A staff extends a wizards touch for casting thrown spells.
i.e. no range penalty if the wizard can touch the target with their staff.
It just occurred to me that the wizard could use hammer touch with their staff...

A wizard is always aware of his staff.
e.g. if someone picks up the staff whilst the wizard is absent, the wizard will know about it and can will the staff to harm (or not).

A staff can act as a strength battery upto the wizard's base strength.

Have fun,

Chris

Chris Nicole
www.loran.karoo.net/