Re: (TFT) The Music of Cidri

Our game music has NO lyrics - purely instrumental. I have a huge collection of CDs just for game, and I try to cobble together a "soundtrack" for each adventure. I choose one song to be the Theme-Song for the Campaign, then I select a specific song for each "act" I have planned-out, and burn a CD. I use a remote to change the track when a new "act" begins. Most cities have their own song, and I have songs identified for forrest, desert, ocean, jungle, swamp, etc.. travel/encounters. Next week, I'm even adding a new element: Bad-Guy Theme. We're playing the Midnight Campaign (sort-of), so I'm looking for the perfect song for Izrador.

Artists:
David Arkenstone - This guy is prolific! Everything he's done is "fantastic"-al and perfect for role-playing. In fact, he composed the musical score for the first World of Warcraft expansion. Get it all! Diane Arkenstone (David's wife) is good too. I like about half of her music. They have collaborated on quite a bit.
Checkfield - Occasionally jazzy, so you've must chose carefully.
Kitaro - A song or two here and there are appropriate.
Tangerine Dream - Lots of records. "Yes" meets "Vangelis". Again, purely instrumental. They also composed and performed the soundtrack for "Legend" (Tim Curry, Tom Cruise).

Here are composers who write musical scores that can be useful:
James Horner - Braveheart, Lionheart, The Russia House, Rambo I, II, III, Total Recall, Medicine Man, Basic Instinct, Hoosiers, The Edge, The 13th Warrior and The Mummy John Williams - Star Wars, Superman, Harry Potter, Raiders of the Last Ark, E.T., etc..
Leonard Roseman - Ralph Bakshi's Lord of the Rings
Hanz Zimmer - Gladiator, Last of the Mohicans,
Tan Dun - Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
Patrick Doyle - Harry Potter & the Goblet of Fire, Eregon, Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, Hamlet, Henry V, The Last Legion etc.. Trevor Jones - Excalibur, Dark Crystal, Labyrinth, Nate & Hayes, Last of the Mohicans, Gulliver's Travels, Merlin, etc... Randy Edelman - Dragonheart, The Mummy, Harry Potter & the Sorcerer's Stone, etc..

and the Grand-Daddy of them all...
Jerry Goldsmith - Legend (original British score), The Blue Max, Planet of the Apes, Patton, Papillon, Chinatown, The Wind and the Lion, The Omen, Logan's Run, The Boys from Brazil, Capricorn One, Alien, The First Great Train Robbery, Star Trek: The Motion Picture, Twilight Zone: The Movie, and many, many more.

Gavin Gossett
The Fantasy Quest
TFQ Games

Gavin@TheFantasyQuest.com