Re: (TFT) Hirst Arts Melee/Wizard Arena

Duels revised for TFT

3) How it works (turn sequence)
a) Each turn player's turn their Hero Stands to face themselves (hidden from opponent), and decide on their actions for the turn. Players may choose a type of Footwork, and EITHER an Attack OR a Guard from their image wardrobe (not two attack or guards or combinations).

b) They place the images on the three tiers of the Hero stand, footwork on the bottom tier, attacks or guards on one of the two upper tiers.

c) Then players simultaneously turn their Hero stands to face each other. Fate cards are drawn to resolve any attacks. If only guards are played by both players, they are only embarrassed and sheepishly proceed with the next turn. Attacks are resolved by the Hero with right of way first, then by his opponent, thus ending the turn.

4) Your Fencing Moves

Attacks:
Coupe la gourge! (strike at head) TARGET LOCATION
Skiver! (strike at torso) BASIC STRIKE
Poke! (Deadly hit unmodified [just a scratch]- effects enemy next turn) Bleeder strike, weakens Figure over time.

Guards:
Cinque! (blocks "Coupe la gourge!")
Parry! (blocks "skiver!")
Riposte! (makes enemy attack one weaker- if attack unsuccessful, defender attacks at remote chance immediately)
PARRY as an 'aimed shot, wait for opening'

Footwork:
Fancy! (evasive, weakens attack) GIVE GROUND
Lunge! (strengthens attack) ADVANCE
Passant! (no effect) HOLD GROUND

5) Cards and Markers

Fate Cards (one of each in deck):
Swoosh! (miss)
Hat Skewered! (miss)
Ma Foi! (miss)
Remote (a kill on a remote chance)
Dangerous (a kill on a remote or dangerous chance)
Deadly (A kill on at any level)
Slip! (attacker disadvantaged next turn)

Markers:
Parried (parrying swordsman one stronger in attack next turn). Place on parrying player.
Poked (poked player MUST attack next turn, with a Lunge, but without lunge bonus). Place on poked player.
Slipped (gives opponent advantage next turn- you can't attack). Place on attacker who slipped. (Bleeding)

6) Resolving attacks

Right-of-Way (who goes first with their attack): If both swordsmen have attacks the strongest one goes first (roll 1d6 in case of tie). An attack that is blocked (by a guard) fails without a card being drawn, and has no effect. All unblocked Attacks are considered to be Deadly, and are modified in the following manner:

Attacker's tiles and markers:
Fancy Footwork, one weaker - DX roll
Parried opponent last turn, one stronger - 'aimed shot'
Lunge, one stronger - DX roll (two hex jab)
Defender's tiles and markers:
Fancy Footwork, one weaker - DX roll (reduce force)
Lunge, one stronger - DX roll (two hex jab, reach not more force)
Riposte, one weaker - as 'aimed shot, wait for opening'

If an Attack fails to kill an opponent, the defending player becomes the attacker for this round and resolves his attack, if he has one.

And this is their Duel stuff.
VERY NICE for the system it was created for, but obviously not TFT.
However, this is as good a "jumping off" point as any for "stylized" combat so let's see how this flys.

Paper, rock, scissors... I mean attack/defend  - high,middle,low
Add finish positions?

Success rolls
Win - 3d
Tie - 4d
Loose - 5d

Press (attack) - add 1d to defend, increase force of successful attack.

Riposte (defense) - may attempt attack after opponents fail attack (if no other roll that turn)

3 foot long swords (2 feet 11 inches for the Saber says the World Book, but they also say women are only allowed the foil.
Of course, this was the early 80's...
We aren't really talking the sport either, but 3 foot long BLADES (says the reference material) allows 2 hex jabs or thrusts IMO.

Anyway, I've never fenced.
However, those scaled counters I've babbled about are REAL helpful here.
BattleMaps are a good size for ship decks, but when you draw out the rigging, equipment, and all the other associated with a sailing ship, there is a Raising Arizona trailer amount of room to go at it.
Cutlass's and Rapiers (thrusting weapons) make a lot of sense in an environment like that.

Now there are records as old as records of swordish contests, but the European (us) idea of "fencing" seems to have started in Italy around the same time as the Renaissance kicked in, and I'm guessing the narrowness of the fencing area is related to the deck lanes of the Carrack's who had lengths around 30m but subtracting fore and aft castles, the minimum length of 13m for the fencing area seems appropriate.
Ergo, I'm modeling after fencing.
Epee with edge touches?
With 3 foot blades Figures are crossing blades in the hex between them.
A Thrust makes a two hex jab, but doesn't reach across the hex (unless the Figure is very tall or a Giant, etc.) so the depth of the wound wouldn't be as sever as a successful thrust against a Figure in an adjacent hex.
With sufficient force the victim could be skewered.
A successful block might result in the opponents crossing swords face to face, movie style.
Experience awards for proper insults.
But a lot of that depends on speed huh?

So here's speed.

1 second divided by IQ, plus 2 seconds divided by DX equals minimum reaction time.
IQ check to "see" opponents move, time to react is 1 second divided by IQ, plus 1 one-thousandth of a second per point away from Target Number for successful check, or plus 3 one-thousandths of a second per point away from Target Number for failed check.

Attackers use DX time for moves they have the skill (subset of the Fencing Talent that represents all the different "moves" involved under the Talent) for, and add IQ time to skills they haven't practiced.

The moves and reactions are calculated based off the last action until both Figures choose a defensive action at which point the conventions begin again.

I've got a working swing speed for Joe Average of about 50fps for a poundish?
Mythbusters yesterday came up with a figure of about 16mps for a hammer swing.
I'm feeling better and better about 1pt ST.

Square hexes are 14 foot in diameter.

I've got bleeding and arteries, organs, etc.
Blood makes for a slippery deck.
I've also got ideas for will checks and stuff for shock, as this will require "pulling yourself off" of a blade that has run through your arm say.

I don't know much about the actual fencing moves.
I watched the Olympics.
Like THAT helped, although next time I get to Portland I ought to see if somebody at the club has deeper info on this...
Anyway, do the fencers of the list have any information on the speed of some of the movements?
I have a human blink at around 4 one-hundredths of a second.
I'm sure a lot of the actual strikes are quicker that the eye.
I've got a baseball player needing 0.1ish seconds to "see" the pitch.
IQ time.

I've got a figure of 0.012ish seconds for a special-ops cat to disarm a pistol and point it back at the formor holder, whod approached from behind by the by.

Sports Science gave a minimum reaction time for Jerry Rice of about 0.13 seconds.
I can give a good idea of his DX and IQ from this.
If I had info on his 40 yard dash speed I could give his ST also.
I've got an old Sega e-prom that give the players info in 40 yard dash speed, bench press, etc.
I'll see what they say.
I figure pro athletes are a reasonable model for Heroes.

Enough for now, but f.y.i. I've got about half the ports worked up under Civilization and I've built web pages for about half of those based off the actual maps I've got in the encyclopedias, atlas' and other material.

We'll see about a site after walkabout in a week or so...

p.s. what happens when a Figure gets hit by a cannonball?