RE: Sailing War (was: Re: (TFT) Hirst Arts Melee/Wizard Arena)

Thanks,

I have already read number 12, but I look forward to reading the ones before
it.

Joseph Simpson

"For it is God who works in you to will and to act according to His good
purpose." (Philippians 2:13)

> From: maou_tsaou1@netzero.net
> Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 23:44:06 +0000
> To: tft@brainiac.com
> Subject: Re: Sailing War (was: Re: (TFT) Hirst Arts Melee/Wizard Arena)
>
> Thanks Mark!
>
> Okay first a question.
> I understand your working on a project that involves the curent world
history record holder for man-made object, speed.
> How many hexes per turn?
>
> Also, in response to your confusion spell < grins > here's MINE!
>
> Okay, this is an aside, but that editorial cartoon I keep getting asked
about came up again at last nights session.
> Everybody keeps asking me the same rhetorical question.
> "How is that funny?"
>
> It's not SUSPOSED to be funny.
> As sides become more polarized the rhetoric becomes blunt to the point of
threats.

> I have examples of this in "Source Records of the Great War" in seven
volumes from 1931 and then again in Watergate Without Words, a Rolling Stone
special project from 1975.
> I strongly suspect that this is true of the medium as a whole.
> As things get more tense these "cartoons" become the equivalent of threats
or warnings.
> Volume one of the 'Great War' set deals solely with the causes of the war,
(oddly enough a major cause was a German plan to build a railroad to the head
of the Persian (Iran) gulf, now called Kuwait.)

> THAT region has been a "hundred years war", no joke.
>
> (The very first political cartoon they use from 1903 shows a little boy
prince of the Hohenzollern house explaining the night sky's stars to his
younger siblings. "Those are the Orders of Honor that have been awarded to the
dear God for his services to the House of Hohenzollern.")

> So, restraining myself from babbling about this stuff last night, I just go
to bed.
> Be careful what you go to bed with your mind on.
> This was the matinee.
>
> The South rattles the saber again, ironically THIS time as Republicans!
> The Southern Governors OBVIOUSLY have some kind of agreement, and the
overall leadership talks of the "insurgency" model...
> I don't even wanna think about what the mouthpieces were spewing.
> So, in that dream or movie (seen this in RPG's too) whirlwind of events
kinda way, I find myself in a position of power, charged with finding a
solution for the gathering storm.
> The best solution I could conceive was to take a little stroll down
hot-lanta ways and make 'em live up to the name.
> Then head right on for Myrtle Beach, 'ceptin' this time make it a hundred
mile corridor from Savannah to Columbia, i.e burn South Carolina to the
ground.
> Now the good lord knows my "love" of that Sherman S.O.B.
> < spits on the ground >
> I think this was a little "jest" my way perhaps?
> Though how they presented things in such a fashion that I felt as though
THAT was the only/best solution is a matter beyond my current kin.
> Anyway, I'm not even sure THAT would break their back...
>
> Well the cool Atlantic lapping at my ankles closed that one, but then they
opened a new scene on a smithy's shop.

> I'll not bore ya with that Canterbury Tale, but it focused a couple of
points I've been thinking about when it comes to height, reach, weapons, and
elevation.

> The difference between a sword created by a sword smith, and a "mass
produced" sword is the same kind of difference that exists between a custom
made suit from a tailor, and a suit off the rack from Wal-Mart.

> I have a picture of a Marteldefer (French for hammer of iron), or horseman's
hammer, from Elizabethan times (1550's to 1600ish) that has a handgun for a
handle.
> As a matter of fact, every detailed picture I have for these is
significantly different in almost every general factor that I can determine.
> How about Halberds (French for an axe to split helmets)?
>
> Custom weapons indicate custom reach.
> If you allow varying body types, then this could be quite significant, even
amongst members of the same Race.
> Like the reach advantage in boxing.
>
> I'm not an expert at this stuff, but from what I can determine of the
history of weapons, there is a significant "Tech-Tree" race going on there.
> Basically, the Pilum was developed as a response to the Phalanx formation
using Long Spears or Pikes.
> If I discover Iron Working before you then my cities can build Legions
first.
> Conan the movie beginning when JEJ's troops hit the village.
> The six fingered mans custom blade from the worlds greatest swords smith.
> Stormbringer.
> Excalaber.
> Glamdring.
>
> Swords all, but how similar?
>
> At what point do we start to express the differences in game terms?
>

> So there's that.
>

> Then, as I've mentioned, I'm building a web page for each port/town in the
region for the first generation.
> I've got the previous two generations together for "history".
> The remaining generations I give as projections from the starting
generation, in case someone want's to focus play on a later generation and
also to show how the Timeline should roughly progress w/o player
intervention.

> So here's a little issue I've recently worked out for dairy cattle, (and
veal, etc.) for feeding populations.

> I have pulled these figures from "The Strength of the Hills; A Portrait of a
Family Farm" 1989.

> Northern Vermont, (roughly the same parallel as the area of Oregon I'm in
but no coast, still the county below mine is Tillamook and is famous in the
region for it's dairy.