RE: Sailing War (was: Re: (TFT) Hirst Arts Melee/Wizard Arena)

I wake up and some commercial comes on the TV with some old couple talking about phone service (as they are so want to do) and as evidence of her husbands constancy she points out to him that they'd been married for 40 years (38 he replies) and they'd had 11 bulldogs in that time (all named Steve).
Whose neathers were THOSE figures pulled from?
Michael Vick's?

That BUGS me.

Oh well.

So I've been thinking about the source of magical power.
This is actually a fairly critical issue to my way of thinking as actions that makes sense from a magical power standpoint, don't always appear to be the best course of action economically, and so fourth.
Of course these kinds of actions are going to depend on the source of overall power for spells.

In other words, where does the power for spells come from?

I have currently been using vacuum fluctuation as a source for this power.
It works well theoretically, almost a free lunch.
Gluth pulling a Universe outta the stuff is good enough for me as a workable source.
But is this the only/best model?
It seems the only cap to this one is to limit access altogether...
Magic Fists that could affect Orbits, etc.

"FOOLS! Everybody knows that the TRUE source of power comes from the blood of ancient LIZARDS!"
- Dan Halen (Squidbillies) the true voice of the Dark Lord

"By the pricking of my thumb..."

Blood as the source of magic power has always made me a tad squeamish.
It makes sense what with fST and all, but it just sounds so evil..., wicked visuals and all that.
But taken to its logical conclusion, a Wizard on a power trip would actually require people, even if only Matrix style.
Ironically, this may prove to be a more "humane" view of magic power than the more sterile version I presented at first.
A Wizard on a vacuum-flux power trip would probably pull a Corwin of Amber type thing, drawing the angles of his pattern into another dimension of his own.

Does anyone else on the list have the roots of spell power?

This will be important, as it will help define Spell limits.
Cracking Stone Tables and whatnot.

How many Wizards/apprentices on board to replace black powder cannon?
Is it worth it from a weight/volume ratio?
How many such "Units" could man boats, based on the population of the area and available craft?