Re: (TFT) Dragons of Underearth Versus Melee/Advanced Melee/Wizard/Ad vanced Wizard

Uhhhh, I've somehow become popular these last few days.
The mitzvahs are approaching the point of ridiculous-ness.
I'm now at the point of packing.
This thing has gotten to be much more than an annual hike.
I'm now being asked for bird counts and "scene locations" as well as these camera things, and this is on top of my concerns with describing terrain and the prospecting and location stuff I'm trying to figure.
There's botanical concerns as well, but I don't get to give a "fiat acompli" in the manner I'd prefer...
If'n ya get more than a day late the search 'n rescue boys can get a little anise...
But others are involved so Jay has to "inform" folks what he's doing.
Involved in this is a lot of "social" pressure that intrudes upon my hermitage.
This affects production, but I don't know what to do about it...
It's a blessing to have friends, but a time killer too...
This is an example of what I'm trying to describe; it's taken me two days to type this amidst the various distractions.
That sucks from a volume standpoint, and the clarity needs a TON of work, but if anyone is following this then this is my attempt to get "impress Rick" points.
Here's the stuff.

My lord, I've gone "functionally" insane.

Nothing for it I guess.

Anyhoo, Jay's much like Europe to most americans, a decade or two ahead on progressive issues.

Pitcher ST 12, DX 11, IQ 9, MA 12
Athletics (2), Throwing (2,2), Charisma (2), Club-bat (1)
61.92fps or 42.2mph base pitch
~14.5 hexes per second or about 0.89 seconds for pitch to cross plate.

Catcher ST 10, DX 12, IQ 10, MA 10
Athletics (2), Throwing (2), Alertness (2), Baseball Sense (2), Diplomacy (1),Club-bat (1)
Reaction 0.283 seconds

Batter ST 15, DX 9, IQ 8, MA 22.5
Athletics (2), Throwing (2), Running (2), Club-bat (1,1)
Hit 129fps, Slug 161.25fps, reaction 0.36 seconds

Umpire ST 9, DX 10, IQ 13, MA 10
Umpire (3), Alertness (2), Baseball Sense (2), New Followers (2), Diplomacy (1), 3 assistant umpires (3)
Reaction 0.253 seconds

90 feet between bases, or 21 hexes.
30 hexes from home to 2nd base.
13 hexes from the pitchers mound to home.

MA is equivalent to the number of hexes a Figure may move in a turn.
MA/5 is the number of hexes per second a Figure may move.

A standard throw is equivalent of the Figures ST in hexes per second.
Each 4.3 feet in height counts as one hex.
A standard overhand throw is released at a height of around 8 feet, or 3 hexes in height.

"Running was emphasized two ways in the Rickey-type training camp. First came the speed-tests, held over a regulation cinderpath sprint track measuring sixty yards, or 180 feet, twice the distance between bases. Players reported to the testing grounds in groups of four and six to compete in races from standing starts. They dressed in regulation baseball uniforms, though they could carry their caps. Each player had to be clocked over this course on three different occasions, and the average of his time as recorded by stop-watches became his running speed.
Seven seconds or under stamped a player as fast. From :07 to :07.4 was average fast. From :07.5 to :07.9 was average, with over eight seconds poor."
180 feet divided by 7 seconds equals about 25.7 feet per second.
Divided by 4.3 this gives us practically 6 hexes per second, or 30 hexes per turn, either 30 ST normal, or 20 ST w/Running Talent for a "fast" player.

Pitching requires two rolls.
A pitch adds about twenty percent to a throw, representing both the pitching motion and the height of the mound.
A half-speed pitch (pitch fps/2) is a 2 die roll, normal effort is a 3 die roll and uses the throw force of 4.3fps per 1pt ST, and a best effort is a 4 die roll that uses pitch force of 5.16fps per 1pt ST.
Add one die per 5% increase in over-effort, to a maximum over-effort of 30% at +6 dice.
This determines the pitch speed and is used to determine how many hexes the ball will travel if hit successfully.
Successful rolls that hit a players "call" produce full effect.
Successful rolls that "miss" a players call subtract 1fps per point away from call.
Unsuccessful rolls subtract 5fps per point missed by.

The strike zone consists of about 5 cubic feet with a surface area presented to the pitcher of about 612 square inches, or roughly 4.3^2 feet.
A 2 die roll to hit a hex, 3 dice for half a hex (8 squares), 4 dice for a quarter hex (4 squares, or roughly equal to the strike zone), 5 dice for two squares and 6 dice to pick your square (basically square foot).
Add 1 die to the roll per point of control described by the pitcher, such as a curve break, or a fastball hop.
This determines the "flight" of the ball, and is used in determining the batters chances.
A successful roll that meets the players call results in a pitch that is delivered exactly as described by the player.
In game terms, this adds any dice rolled by the pitcher excepting the 4 required for the strike zone to the batters dice hand for a successful hit.
A successful roll that misses the call looses one of the extra dice for every 3.5 points the roll is missed by.
A missed roll adds 1 die per 3.5 points missed by.
"Control of the bat-end from a full-arc swing was never better demonstrated than on Sept. 30, 1927, at the Yankee Stadium, New York. Babe Ruth reached back to meet a pitch by left-handed Tom Zachary, of Washington. The ball came toward the plate about waist-high and then began to dip in and down. It was a well-placed screwball. Ruth's bat followed the flight of the ball. His wrists twisted and the bat caught the ball below his knees and at least six inches inside. With a rhythmic swing, he golfed the "bad" pitch into right field for his 60th home run of the season."
If the roll was missed by more than the total number of dice used in the control roll then the pitch has gone wild, missing the entire hex.
1d6 - left front 1, front 2, right front 3, right rear 4, rear 5, left rear 6
Front hexes are "in the dirt" rear hexes are high.
Alertness check for catcher to attempt catch.
I THINK I've got something better for misses, but I need to learn more about rolling baseballs and friction...

An 80mph fast ball (ST 23) passes from the pitchers hand across the plate in about half a second.
A Figure who can't come in under this speed with double his reaction speed is not skilled enough to exercise his Talents, and must double the number of dice for their base roll like a Figure without any Talent must do verses them.
Calls for side of the field, or the Babe's famous "point" add 1d per verb so to speak.

Batting, requires three success checks.
First is power.
Batters take a half swing at the ball at a 2 die roll, a normal swing is a 3d check and a "swing away" Slug swing requires a base 4 dice check.
A successful check that hits the "call" uses the full fps for that type of swing.
A successful check than misses the call subtracts half the Figures ST in fps per point off the call.
A missed check subtracts the Figures ST in fps per point missed by.

A successful pitch is likely to add complexity dice to the roll, an exception would be a basic, non-breaking pitch through the middle of the strike zone at 4d from the pitcher.

The second check is the timing check.
An object hitting a linear surface at one angle, reflects at the same angle in the opposite quadrant.
Seeing as the angle of the pitch varies only slightly compared to the angle of the bat at impact, I put the ownus on the batter.

The third check is for angle of elevation.
Gravity vs. the 45 degree angle.
Earth barometric pressure vs. vacuum.

Pitch fps is subtracted from hit fps to give overall ball speed for successful hit.

Baseball records, throw, hit, pitch, etc.