From: "Sgt Hulka"
To: tft@brainiac.com
Subject: (TFT) Swords & Sails
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2009 06:24:31 -0800 (PST)

I received my copy of Space Gamer 24 I won on e-bay, which I was
interested in for its Ships & Swords article. I was slightly
disappointed that they didn't have actual sailing rules, but also
felt "validated" that it was really just a series of boarding
actions using cut-up hex sheets as deck plans, much as I had
planned to do with Heroscape tiles.

More interesting to me, though, were the scenarios themselves.
These were published pre-TFT (using the rules for Melee alone), and
were all "historical light", somewhat like the sample combat
between Flavius and Wulf in Melee, but much bigger. The final
scenario is Ceasar's opposed landing on the sands of Britannia, and
it uses 17 figures for the Roman side.

I was a little bit surprised to see the game being used the way
David O. Miller uses it, and the way I've been using it lately, as
a miniatures wargame skirmish system (the article's author even
recommended 1/72 scale plastic historical models to use in the
scenarios) instead of a man-to-man ultra tactical RPG system (like
the Death Test series and the other Microquests).

Are there more published scenarios like these that I've missed?

Finally, David O. Miller, relevant to your 3-D tiles rules, the
article includes a Roman Merchantman that has a raised cabin that's
accessible via a ladder. The simple(istic) rule the author
suggested was that anyone on the raised cabin couldn't attack
anyone on the deck except with thrown and missile weapons. It took
a figure's entire movement to go up or down the ladder, and figures
higher on the ladder were +1 to hit figures lower on the ladder.
Oddly, I'm not sure it's possible, using the rules provided in the
article, to even be on the ladder, so it's odd that they included
that bonus. And for the record I like your more complete rules
better.

When a figure is pushed off the deck into the water, or off the
cabin onto the deck below, it saves 3 dice versus Dex to drop prone
in its current hex, instead. If I remember correctly Advanced Melee
has its own rule that governs this sort of thing.

Finally, the article included an interesting "Leadership" rule to
govern morale. Whenever a side's leader falls (including getting
knocked down or slipping) all figures on his side must roll 3 dice
versus IQ. Those that fail may only defend until they succeed on a
save during the plotting phase. Those that roll a 17 or 18 panic,
dive off the ship, and are removed.
=====

Chris Nicole
www.loran.karoo.net/