RE: (TFT) Suggested house rules: Tool Elementals

At 7:41 -0400 4/28/09, DMG wrote:
Mark,
I postulate that the wielder has to make 5d vs IQ every day or the elemental will "leave". Per create Elemental, AW page 16.

...5D vs. IQ, or use "Control Elemental", maybe. Yes, I looked at that. But the Tool Elemental is special, in that unlike other elementals, it can't (physically) "leave" - it's immobile. It certainly is true that until a wizard using telepathy has had a chance to teach it a language, it won't be communicative, and it may well be hostile for a pretty long time even after it knows how to talk. But it can't go anywhere.

As I said, it has kind of pathetic prospects, as long as it stays rebellious. I think that like a very smart horse being broken, it will present problems for a long time, but eventually become amenable to suggestion.

If not, the spell is pretty useless, so I *hope* there's some way around that problem.

It would be nice to claim that the added expense of the spell allows the wizard to choose the emotional makeup of the elemental as well as its IQ, but I'm not sure I see a mechanism for that.
--
						- Mark     210-379-4635