Re: (TFT) Two questions

This is correct. I really enjoy the 1/2" grid deckplans of the Beowulf and Scout ship that come with the game, but you certainly don't need them. There are plenty of maps you can find on the www.dundjinni.com forums that you can use for a variety of scenarios. In my opinion, its main failing as a game is a lack of included balanced scenarios, so you'd need to create your own, anyway.

On the other hand, there were a lot of printings of this game and so it isn't outrageously expensive on e-bay.

The game is squarely set in the Traveller universe. You may find some of its anachronisms odd: spacefarers wearing ballistic vests (cloth armor) and carrying M1 carbines, Browning automatic rifles, and cutlasses.

Finally, I've found the game to be more fun (and balanced) using the Traveller character creation method instead of the Snapshot one. Unfortunately, Traveller character creation is a bit comprehensive...it's a mini-game in itself. Fortunately, there's on java program here that does it for you:

http://www.signalgk.com/cgi-bin/ctcg.pl

I'd recommend having the program roll up 6 characters per side and have at it! When a character receives "gun combat" or "blade combat" just choose which particular weapon he or she is skilled in. Because of the DX minimums/bonuses, you'll pretty quickly figure out that each character has an "optimal" weapon.

Oh, and when "DECEASED" comes up, that means that character died during military service. Tough luck. Your start a man (or two) down.