Re: (TFT) first Saturday in May?

I love Donald David Dongalore.
Barnabus too.

It is quite possible to strain mussels, rupture tendons or injure joints with strenuous effort (soccer) without a preliminary warm-up period (about 20 minuets or 240 turns).

Exercise Progression
Table I
Exercise #6
Run in place, lift feet 4 to 6 inches off Floor.
At the completion of every 50 steps do 10 Steam Engines.
Repeat the sequence until the required number of steps is completed.
Count a step each time left foot touches the floor.

5 minuets for exercise (60 turns)

Age and Fitness Groups
17 to 29
A - 250 (4.17) 50 steps per minuet
B - 235 (3.92)
C - 215 (3.58)
30 to 39
A - 200
B - 185
C - 165
40 to 44
A - 150
B - 135
C - 120 (2)
45 to 49
A - 100
B - 90
C - 80
50 to 59
A - 75
B - 70
C - 60 (1)
60 and over
A - 50 (0.83)
B - 40 (0.67)
C - 30 (0.5) six steps per minuet

100m = 328.1'(Stopid american)
Call it 77 hexes.

Good sprint times fall just under 10 seconds for the 100m.

50m per turn.

The TFT Melee Map at its widest dimension (ignoring the sky) is 15 hexes, 19.5m or about 64 feet.
This is interestingly close to a fifth of a 100m.

How long is a stride?

Running, a stride comes in at about 4.3 feet, or right around 1.3m.
In other words, ONE HEX, more or less.

I might as well connect the rest of the dots here...

What is a race?
How about who can take 77, 1.3 meter strides the quickest?
For the hundred meters anyway.

What is the Running Talent?
Maybe allowing the figure to take full 1.3m strides.
(Poor little hobbits...)

Each of the 16 squares that make up a BattleMap hex is roughly a square foot (13 inches).
Where are your Figures putting their feet?

I did not lie when I said that I could make a Figure dance.

It gets worse.

If I pity it hobbits, what does that imply about the giants?

It says that I need to be able to express the difference between a 5' Figure and a 6' Figure in a race or even finer.

Can't be done simply?

Sure it can.

How tall do you wanna be?

H / 8 = 1 Head Unit for the Figure, where H is the height.
4 Head Units is leg, for Humans anyway.
Proportions can be played with; bearing in mind that the power developed by muscles is largely proportional to their cross-sectional area, meaning its linear size...
Uhhh, that's Monster Lab stuff...
4 Head Units for legs Jay.

Height (linear size) = Head Unit = Leg Length = Leg Length * 1.5 (Running stride)
6' = 9" = 36" (3') = 4.5'
5' 11" = 8.875" = 35.5" (2.958') = 4.437'
5' 10" = 8.75" = 35" (2.917') = 4.375'
5' 9" = 8.625 = 34.5" (2.875') = 4.313'
5' 8" = 8.5" = 34" (2.833') = 4.25'
etc.

So six foot Figure is in the 100m with 5'8" Figure.
What the above tells me is that everything else being equal, 6'-Figure gains a quarter inch of ground each step.
Over 77 strides that's 19.25 inches or a win by a little over a foot and a half.
Call it a square and a half.

What's a little guy to do?

Well the big guy's got the advantage in size of stride (reach in boxing... etc.) but the (roughly) 77 strides is only half the deal.
How quick are you putting down your feet, and where are you putting them?

At 77 steps in roughly 10 seconds it would seem that sprinters are taking something on the order of seven and a half steps per second.
The above fitness tables call for 0.834 steps per second from a fit 17 year old.
7.7 / 0.834 ~ 9.23
The 17 year old jogger gets there in about a minuet and a half (92.3 seconds) at the described pace.
(Not quite true here, don't forget the Steam Engines,... uhh 250 + 50 is one step per second for the 17yr old A class kid.)

Now if there's a turn in the course then positioning becomes important, as there will be shorter and longer routes.
Who can put their foot on the inside hex first?

That's a question of fST and how a Figure wants to expend it.

Look at the world records for Track and Field.

The 100m is under 10 seconds.

The 200m is under 20 seconds.

The 400m is ('04) over 40 seconds.

The 800m is not the 1:20ish expected, but 1:40ish, which was expected for the 1000m, which is 2:10ish.

It looks like fST is kicking in.

So if I'm the little guy in a race around a track I could expend extra fST to attempt to move my feet quicker to get an inside hex position, thus forcing the bigger runner to run a slightly longer path.
Hopefully about a foot and a half longer...

American Football anyone?

How about Horses?
(Who took the Thousand Guineas? First Sunday in May no?)

A REALLY smart horse sounds a lot like some of the Tool issues Mark was talking about.

OH YES!
Hi Mark!

Hand Tools - The Brain controls the Muscle that powers the Tool that modifies the power.
(Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me reported that a neurological study showed that the same areas in the male brain are stimulated by thinking about hand tools as the ones stimulated by thinking about naked ladies.
Consider what classification a sword falls under and maybe we have the start of a reason for the current swing-low to split-tail ratios in gaming...)

Power Tools - The Brain controls the Tool that provides and modifies its own power.

Automatic Tools - The Brain sets the initial conditions of the Tool, which performs its function without control from a Brain.

Tool Tools -Tools created by Tools for the use of Tools w/o involvement of any Brain...

And then there's this.
The closer I get to the center of the earth, the denser the general "mix" of materials gets.
So I'm thinking that in "general" a nickel elemental will get to me quicker than an iron elemental would, and both would take longer than a earth elemental.
Also the hotter the earth/fire elemental you want, the longer you wait; not because it's harder to get the hotter one, but because it probably has a longer distance to travel.

I don't know... it's YOUR spell.
I just live here.

Do I have to spell out fST too?
Okay, fine.
Think heart rate which is tied to how much blood is moving through your Figures heart at a given time.
One thirteenth of a Figures body weight (lbs.) equals the volume of blood in pints in the body.
What's the 'First' in first aid?
What's damage in the first place?
Death checks kick in at the loss of about half the volume of blood.

Oh yes, you also get calories outta it as a kind of bonus.
Average heart rate over time...

I'm not kidding about feeding them.

It gets a tad gross after that, and I ain't talking gory.

Anyway, let me see about calories and fST.
Unless anybody ELSE is quantifying stats that knows how to add?

Oh and yes, Running (Sprinting?) can be important in combat.
CHARGE!