(TFT) Momentum

Watching my son's soccer game over the weekend, I was struck by how important momentum was in the game (not physics- momentum, but that sense of control and driving toward the goal, both figuratively and literally).

In something like TFT, it's easy to see for 1 on 1, less so for groups or teams, where there isn't much in the way of "coordinated behaviors", especially over several rounds.

Does anyone have a house rule they use that conveys such effects of momentum from round to round?