(TFT) How does magic work?

Worthless?

Report from : Jay Mnoren and research staff; Jen Mnoren University of Science and Technology, Jackson School of Meta-Theory - 1310 T-yr A.J. / A.E. 1m1 / May 4, 2010

Common Material Components In General Magical Theory

As is now commonly known it has been a generation since Dr. J. B. Mnoren developed the basis of Alternate Earth Theory allowing us to describe the 371 Alternate Earths Universes in relation to each other; among other implications vastly improving our abilities to locate and maintain Gates between A.E.'s. Of course, it was the Doctors accidental discovery of another order of magnitude of separation between the A.E's that has spurred the recent renaissance of Mnoren social culture. Owing to this realization we have documented over four thousand Alternate Earth's in the last 20 years, over ten times the number of A.E.'s discovered in a fifteenth of the time from Jen till the cessation of A.E. exploration during the time of Cidri. No longer need we cast ourselves upon the fickle tides of time to ride the current where it will, we can now pick our point, choose our moment; our new limit has become our knowledge. It has been the happy confluence of our explorations of these vast numbers of newly discovered A.E.'s with the fact that all A.E.'s are part of a related system with basic commonalities shared among all worlds of the system that has allowed research to progress into the basic traits of magic that are now known to be shared among the one-hundred and fourteen recognized A.E.'s with magical properties.

Of note here; Dr. Burrows' Theory seems to follow a kind of inverse square law in relation of the number of our 'family' participating in the system itself. It now seems likely that there is a limit to the A.E. system beyond which other, different natural laws and rules could likely occur. This paper cannot and will not attempt to address the current rumors and speculation concerning the possibilities beyond the Alternate Earth system but instead will focus on those aspects of magic that are shared among the various worlds, and particularly on component materials for spells that actually act as magical reagents and catalysis'.

In the twelve years since the founding of J.M.U.S.T. our research has managed to reveal several key insights into the general nature of magic that seem to be shared among the known members of the A.E. multiverse system. The foremost of these discoveries has unquestionably been an understanding of the source of magical energies. (See "An Extra-dimensional Aetherial Matrix Structure to the Multiverse?" 1300 T-yr A.J. / A.E. 1m1 / June 21, 2000) It now seems clear to us that the force being shaped in magic is involved with vacuum energy available to the particular A.E. being considered. On about 1% of the known A.E.'s the resonances in the vacuum energy are very small, resulting in a very minor Casimir effect. On these worlds the magical force operates on small enough scales to allow for the logical function of mechanical and even electrical components reliably. Of the 23 worlds known with space travel, every one possesses a magical resonance at the atomic level or below, and all nineteen worlds known to have a MR at or below the atomic level that do not possess space travel at this time show clear signs of progress toward high technology. Every one of the 74 "dead worlds" proven to have been destroyed via catastrophic use of technology also have these same quantum resonances. (of note here, the ratio of magical worlds to dead worlds proven to have been destroyed by the catastrophic use of magic is about 1 in 4, with 91 magical worlds known and 23 worlds destroyed by catastrophic magic. No symmetry relation has been shown to the date of this writing.)

On most A.E.s' the magical resonance operates over much larger scales than those of high-tec worlds, but much smaller scales than that of magical worlds. Very energetic virtual particles frequently exist over large fractions of a second on these worlds causing noticeable and unpredictable fluxuations in systems depending on regular oscillations, predictable energy flow, constant coefficients and etc. This effect is sufficient to retard the development of complex machines while at the same time being to weakly manifested in these worlds to be effectively channeled into "magical" effects.

On those A.E.'s designated magical the potential virtual energies resonate over vast scales, allowing for predictable smaller scale effects based of its self-similar stochastical relationship to our physical scale. In other words, on magical worlds such as Cidri, the vacuum energy potential is so great that a Wizard can effectively channel it into the useful forms known as spells.

A particular concern of spell-forms are the material components necessary to generate the effect. Unlike the verbal and gestural aspects of physical spell casting that have their roots in Mnoren Psychology, material components seem to be describing a direct physical link to the A.E. universe in which they reside. In the same fashion that the periodic chart remains constant across the known A.E.'s (discounting isotope differences) several magical elements remain constant across the known magical worlds as material components of spell casting and magical item creation.

Principal among these is the "perfect" electrode Mythril or 'true silver'.
Sitting in the eleventh column of the periodic table with an atomic weight of 127, Mythril exhibits charistics of stability sufficient to retain half-lifes comparable to several human generations. The extreme density of true silver also allows for veins of relatively pure Mythril to be found albeit deep within a planetary bodies crustal formations, often laceing the bottoms of veins of silver and/or gold with thread like filaments descending ever deeper beyond the levels of profitable mining. As an electrode, the element My is actually sensitive to vacuum flux of magical scale due to its density. This allows a reduction or oxidation of the magical flux depending on the waveform of the flux being transformed. The other "true" metals in this column can be used successfully but in impractical mass volumes. The high-tec production of this element does little to focus the small scale flux on such a world. Working as an anode/cathode, My in a magical environment where the very air is a electrochemical cell sufficient to produce spell effects possesses high potentality.

The opposite potential seems to be related to crystal structure...
..