Re: (TFT) unfinished Bendwyn (2nd try)

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mark Tapley"

Clarke said that at a certain point, advanced technology is
indistinguishable from magic.

His Third Law.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clarke's_three_laws

But I'm not sure the converse is true - Magic is, I think,
distinguishable from any sufficiently advanced technology. Clarke
didn't say one way or the other, I don't think (and the Wikipedia
article doesn't say he did). On the other hand, Niven, Pratchett, and
Lackey *did* state the converse, according to the article. But I
think that's a technologist's view of "magic". See below.

Regarding "magic", "industrial magic", technology, etc.: I
think if magic is sufficiently advanced that it *always works*, or at
least when it doesn't work there is a known cause for that, then it
has become technology (and the converse of Clarke's law applies). I'm
typing this on a machine which uses transistors to switch voltages
something over 64,000,000,000 times each second - and *all* of them
work. That's technology. In ITL, even a DX-18 wizard will miss his
spell 5% of the time (when he rolls a 16, 17, or 18). That's magic.
If a clever wizard figures out how to hit a spell 64,000,000,000
times in a row - it will have become technology.
I think this sort of captures the emotional impact of "magic"
- it's the things you can't depend on, that give the world interest
and suspense. It's the random ingredient in a story. As a
technologist myself, "magic" in a story can make me uncomfortable for
that reason, but I think that adds to tension needed to make a story
riveting to me.
This seems to fit reasonably well with the "random" nature of
the energy source as quoted from J. Mnoren's paper...

Very well put.
I agree that a technologist is likely to try and describe magic in technical terms. I'd be tempted to allow automatic function for spells 10 or more IQ less than the Wizards IQ...

Silicon or germanium doped with arsenic, antimony, bismuth or phosphorous is
Yin; doped with aluminum, indium, gallium or boron is Yang.

Actually, Gallium Arsenide devices don't (necessarily) have
*any* silicon in them, except possibly as a dopant. Alternating
Gallium and Arsenic atoms (ions?) form the crystalline structure.
Maybe the extreme case of Yin/Yang balance?

hee hee hee, I LIKE this line...

Of note, Yin/Yang are also the cardnal directions of the fourth dimension through which the magical force propagates at right angles to the electromagnetic force at the speed of light... although, thinking about the Maxwell's for THAT hurt my head a little bit. Before I start talking about exceeding the Lorentz Force singularity to create an A.E. let me mention the point of all this.

Summon Gargoyle IQ 13 ST 4 + 1
These are "real" beings summoned temporarily from another plane to do the Wizards bidding...
A Controll spell can be used to take over a summoned being.
Controll Person IQ 13 ST 3 + 1

Now... poping out a gargoyle sized virtual particle is one thing, but the above seems to imply that this is actually a "compound" spell. It almost looks like it's a Controll Person @ IQ 13 ST 3 + 1 and one additional ST to pull out a gargoyle... Of course, that requires some adjustments... Summon Small Dragon would cost ST 7 + 1, 3 ST + 1 for the Controll spell and 4 ST to pull out a 4 hex creature...
"pull out"...
What exactally is going on with THAT?
I see two ready possabilities on the spell table.
Teleport spells or perhaps Gates.
Gates may be a little steep... except for the weight limits on Teleport.
Whichever, with the current Teleport a Wizard couldn't start on one goalline and Teleport to the other for the same 20 ST that lets the Wizard Long Distance Teleport.

One more thing about Gargoyles... the last sentence of Summoned Creatures reads; "NO summoned being can cast a spell or use any kind of magic". This is a bit confusing because the discription of Gargoyle says; "(Actually, they have a limited ability to levitate)". I don't see a Levitate spell... I do see a Telekinesis but it's IQ 13 and Gargoyles can't get a better IQ than 10.
So can summoned Gargoyles fly?
I know the spell says MA 16 in air, but to imply that their "limited ability to levitate" is NOT magical is a heck'uv a can of worms IMO.
Perhaps they are a kind of living magic item?
They DO have a silicon metabolism...
If so, that would explain how a summoned Gargoyle could still use a magical effect, but it implies some odd anatomy (obviously involving the gallbladder). I suspose it's time to do some research on compairative anatomy... Gargoyles and silicon, Dragons poop sulfur, Trolls regenerate except fire.
Looks like I'm gonna have to invent some new organ types.

Anyway, the way I see this type of magic (I call this style Soccery) Wizards learn asspects or effects rather than "spells".
Let's take fire as an example.

Now my deffinition of 1pt of ST @ 5.5 foot pounds works out to about 7.5 joules or watts per 1pt ST.
That's enough to light the LED on my pencil flashlight.
For one second?
hummmm
Wikipedia says;
"A person having a mass of 100 kilograms who climbs a 3 meter high (almost 3 hexes) ladder in 5 seconds (1 turn) is doing work at a rate of about 600 watts. Mass W acceleration due to gravity W height w the time it takes to lift the mass to the given height gives the rate of doing work or power. A laborer over the course of an 8-hour day can sustain an average output of about 75 watts; higher power levels can be achieved for short intervals and by athletes." Well will you look at that... Joe Average @ ST 10 exerts about 75 watts and I could call that a sustained average.
Joe exerts 75 watts w/o expending fST.
Running Joe up the ladder in 1 turn is about 80 ST of work / 5 seconds is 16 ST a second which exceeds Joes ST 10 meaning Joe is spending fST to go up the ladder. Statistical efforts are quantized meaning that fST can't be spent fractionally, ergo 1pt of ST spent as fST equals 15 joules of energy. Joe @ 75 watts w/o fST gets 150 watts of work per fST spent meaning 4 fST to go up the ladder in a single turn. So we've now got Joe Average Wizard lighting a 150 watt light bulb for 1 fST (per Turn) instead of 2 LED's (my Energizer Hard Case Tactical uses 4 LEDs for standard white light). 150 watts is 110 foot pounds. That's about the average work done by a bicyclest moving along flat ground with no wind @ 16 to 17mph burning around 600 calories (ergo my concern w/food production). 100 foot pounds can hurt you pretty good... Tyson bit off Holleyfield's ear with about 100 foot pounds of force.
Can I get heat...
1 BTU lifts a one-pound weight to a height of 778 feet so... 5.5 lbs raised to 141.45 feet or about 33 and a quarter hexes in height. A BTU is about 1000 joules which is about 7 times Joe Average Wizards 150 joules @ 1 fST...
Joe Wiz spends 7 fST to burn a match?
How hot is that?
Fuel and Oxidizer type Temperature (Celsius)
Fluorescent light 60-80
Incandescent light 100-300
Cigarettes - unventilated conditions 288
Cigarettes - ventilated 400-780
Cigarettes - insulated and smoldering 510-621
Stove element >550
Match 600-800
Tungsten halogen light 600-900
Candle flame 600-1,400
Electrical spark 1,316
Bunsen burner 1,570
Methanol/air 1,910
Methane/air 1,920-1,949
Butane/air 1,977
Propane/air 1,977
Wood/air
(most organics are about here)) ~1977
MAPP Gas/air
Hydrogen/air 2,210
Carbon monoxide/air 2,468
Acetylene/air 2,632
Acetylene/Oxygen 3,300
Hydrogen/Oxygen
Electrical arcing <3,750
Plasma torch ~4,700
Lightning 30,000

700 C is about 1300 fahrenheit...
150 C can cause 2nd degree burns...
Fire has a time factor to its effects but for now this seems to be in the ballpark as far as damage is concerned. The idea is that a Wizard can crank up the volume so to speak and create hotter flames via larger expendatures of fST.
That's not their only options for fST spending.
Wanna move that flame further away than the adjecent hex? It's gonna cost fST.
Ditto if the Wizard wants to shape or otherwise control the flames.
And so on.
By replacing specific spells with more general forms or effects I get a more flexable system which is nice but even better players actually have to describe what they want their spell to do which leads too MUCH better shared visuals for all players.
As an example of what I'm talking about here I'd like to ask a question.
When I cast a fireball in your TFT campaign how do you "visualize" it?
I wonder if we're imagining roughly the same thing.
LOTS more... material components can reduce fST, while large fST expendatures add dice to the success check... I've even heard rumors of Mnoren resurfacing that haven't been seen since the abdication.
Lord knows what THEY'VE learned...

Whatchya think?

Gandalf doesn't strike me as being an apple geek.

http://www2.nkfust.edu.tw/~smguo/hivi/Mac/Gandalf_1280x1024.jpg

Clearly, not everyone feels that way. :-)

ROTFLMAO!
I stand corrected!