Re: (TFT) Playing with a web site...

Thanks Joe, Cris and Richard.

Woo hoo!
That was just a proof of concept thing but I certainly appreciate the verification and advice (especally from pros). I was trying to throw all the information on Cidri I could glean outta a not so careful reading of ITL into a kind of "gestalt".
Blah!
The TFT rules are a real quagmire (gigity gigity) when it comes to organization. I simplly shouldn't be reading fundamental facts about magicial illusions in the flora and fauna section. SJ never "commited" to Cidri and the "rules" show it with refrence after refrence to individual GM's 'game-worlds'.
I'm scrapping Cidri and using momma Earth as the "vanilla" 'game-world'.
This makes a TON more sense as there are VOLUMES written on this planet... and we STILL are missing detailed exploration of approaching two thirds of it... and we LIVE on the thing. If I can't model Terra, I've got no business claiming to have a fantasy "world" model.

Oh no... I'm babbeling again...

Oh well, I've learned not to fight it... every once in a while something useful pops out.

I've come to feel that you've got rules on the one hand, and then on the other hand you've got rules and never the twain shall meet.
This Earth stuff I'm talking about are "Natural" rules.
Geology, Physics, Meterology... these type "systems" are rules on a very fundamental level. Law, Language, Culture... these type systems are rules of "contrivance" that are MUCH more easialy broken than fundamental rules. (One dosen't gain a TRUE ability to flaunt "authority" with out loosing ones fear of death however, and never forget that the monkeys that rub blue mud in their belly-buttons on the full moon will probably kill you if you don't.) In the world of make believe the "fundamentals" of Earth are VERY important from a group point of view.
This is what we KNOW in a 'muscel memory' type way.
We know it so fundamentaly that we have a hard time talking about it.
Social systems are the reason that combat is a proper "root" as death is the ultimate "threat" of non-compliance.
The rules for the "fundamentals" are the "game-world/s".
Social systems are more like the "genera" of the game/campaign where a "game" is a play experiance devoid of a game-world while a campaign actually has at least one world.

Before you bitch at me too much let me say this.
The Dean (R.A.H.) already handeled this.
See "The Number of the Beast"
Particulary his treatment of Oz.
I'm trying to be all inclusive with all this.
Finding serious practitionist's (did Jay just make a word?) of "let's play make believe" is hard enough w/o excluding whole groups of us.
Making real world information translate into game terms helps too.
Real world experts can "pontificate" via game terms which frequently proves to be entertaining in my experiance. The assumption that people are "good at heart" is probably fallacious but my experience tells me that people LOVE to learn new things... ESPECALLY when the 'education' occurs in an entertaining fassion.

Consider this.
If we all use planet Earth as our "fantasy world" base (we DO all live here after all) then much of what SJ susposedly MENT about Cidri still applies. He just thought too big at the time. (MY guess is that Cidri was a pre-embrionic World of Warcraft idea for a game environment... or something like that) DMG has Hawaii, I've got New Zealand (all the islands by the way, I wasn't joking about the Pirates! info I posted but I've been unable to even put up the graphics I've got to show why Bendwyn SUCKS as a town of a couple of hundred people... Jay is better than SJ at a few things)... I have no idea about the rest of you except to say that you can probably locate your "fantasy world" in a location on mama Earth w/o much trouble.

Spend a generation and a half considering the issues of Scale and your BOUND to have a couple of breakthroughs... personally at least.

I'm quite serious when I say that quartz could be alive in ways we'd never be able to know. How many generations of white mice to observe the life of a single scientist?

I'm WIERD but managed to survive going crazy.
Now as long as I can maintain food & water and figure out the blue mud thing I MIGHT get something DONE!
GOMANDI Games means Got Off My Ass 'N Did It.
I don't know... it sounds like Sony or Toshiba or Hitachi, I use the moniker Maou Tsaou (a scholar who, having failed, gives himself over too wine) cause I've got a nose for the proper rectum what ta be lickin... from a cultrual ascendancy pov.

Don't you guys find that this stuff helps you ask questions about both kinds of "rules"?
It's probably just me...
lol =====