Re: (TFT) What does +1 mean... exactally?!?

----- Original Message ----- From: "John"

--------------From: "Jay Carlisle" --------------------
Thanks for the thoughts.
I feel that there are a few things that can be "designed" to help keep
weirdness like this on a beforehand basis rather than showing up as an issue
when it matters, i.e. in the middle of gameplay.

True, but I don't see it as a big issue to resolve as it comes up.

And my point about us likeig to talk, and my black iron example, is that we do get this sort of thing cleared up ahead of time, just organically through BSing. Like I can tell you precisely what the piping on the dwarvish bard's custom armor is made of, because the player has described it in loving detail.

Well sure, the player did work worthy of inclusion in your gameworld as a kind of style. Put the players in a "survival" situation where they can get nothing manufactuared and the creative uses for the materials that construct an item become interesting form a gameplay pov. IMO.

------------More Jay --------------------------------
Much better perhaps is to say from the get-go that "Sting" gets her magical
properties via a magical aura enveloping the blade that glows a shimmering
blue when enemies are about (maybe a 5MH rad? but you don't have to tell the
players all the information w/o them "testing" stuff); otherwise the blade
is simply a well made elvish long-knife.

Nothing wrong with that description, and it probably goes great in your game, and for "Sting". But for generic +1 shortswords, that description is not for me.

I HEAR YOU! Now we have something to argue about. In a Beessing good kinda "share knowledge" way.
Tell me how your +1 works in your head please?
The Romans used a bimetalaic process for the gladius and that is close to the TFT mass-production view of where all these bloody swords actually came from.

----------------One More Jay----------------------
Okay, Fe in an element.
I think you mean steal?
Or are you talking refining methods?

No, I am talking different ores. FE is an element (here on earth), but where we play Iron is what gets refined from iron ore, Black iron is what gets refined from black iron ore. There is also mithril and starmetal in the game as well.

To be clear, I'm not saying my way is better, just different. It is better for me as a GM, since that is the way I run my games, but it seems pretty clear that it would not be as good for you.

To also be clear, I'm not saying my way is better at all... excepting the idea that if we agree on the "building blocks" of "the rules" then you can have a better way of diffuting my BS with your own, and if I'm playing in your world I'll have a much better picture of your ideas reguarding a +1 weapon. If your idea of an inch is different than mine then our mental pictures are likely to be askew in many ways. The more general the rule-set the easier this is to "gloss-over", until the GM decides to place the players in a shave-off opp.
The "general" rules don't cover "shave-offs".
What is the governing stat?
Why?
How does this all match to stuff I use in "reality"?
Agreeing on what 1pt of ANYTHING means, much less the "Stats" we use to roll up Figures and then useing that data to build a world means that you can use the data how you want, but so can the players. Elseif your telling me a story in the same way a scriptwriter is... this is your part, roll the dice when told and basicly shutup about anything not involving the GM's "idea".
IMHO I figure that ya should understand the frame of what your trying to do as a GM and be able to explain this to your players ahead of time, before play starts.
I want to hear about how starmetal relates to mithril realtes to iron.
Have you ever seen a movie called "The Gods Must Be Crazy"?
In an enviroment w/o metal... =====